QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Power enhancement 3.1TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loobs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:48    Post subject: Power enhancement 3.1TD Reply with quote

Hi, a newbie here. Got a '92 3.1TD LWB Bighorn in December last (from JapUK as one of the other posters mentioned earlier). I've stuck about 32000 Km on it since and it's been brill.

I wouldn't mind a bit more poke for the road use, I don't tow (yet anyway) although I've fitted a tow bar. The main function at present seems to be to protect the back bumper from idiots parking in London.

I saw mention of intercoolers on another thread, but know little of that side of things. Any tips would be good. I would appreciate any experiences of mods carried out and resultant fuel consumption issues.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.allisport.com quoted me between £300 to £500 for a front mounted intercooler setup and fuel pump optimisation all in, would give between a 20 to 25% increase in bhp and torque, particularly low down in the rev range, MPG should be largely unaffected, maybe even slightly better and lower cylinder temps are good for the longevity of the engine so win win all round. There are other places like http://www.vanaaken.com/europe/index.asp and www.thedervdoctor.co.uk will do the fuel pump optimisation for you on its own. Several people on here have fitted their own on engine intercoolers withh a bit of work even a fmic wouldn't be too hard to do yourself.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Loobs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replay, Phil, much appreciated. Been away, otherwise would have thanked you sooner.
coz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

an easy thing to do to get a bit more power

remove the viscous fan and coupling, i spoke to a guy who did this (hes a mechanic) said it revved better and also you will get more MPG

then fit an electric fan cotrolled via thermostat or in cab switch

thats what im gonna do
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electric fan will get you a couple of BHP and will also help with faster warming up on cold days as an engine driven fan even with a viscous coupling is fairly inefficient. Put that together with a FMIC and optimisation and then as an ultimate you could fit an LPG injection system from the US this is used a little like Nitrous oxide in that it's set to come on at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and the LPG burns with the diesel/air mixture and gives an extra shot of power. I know of a guy running this on a diesel Skoda.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
DJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that Philp Smile

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
mean machine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi loobs ive just ordered a turbonator from america cant wait to fit it gives a 35bhp more  Smile
JP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i dunno about those turbonators. unless they were put in after the turbo wouldn't the turbo compress the air normally regardless of how "disrupted" the air flow is before entering? and wouldn't it cause more resistance making the turbo work that much harder?but if not and you see an increase in power and/or increased ecconomy i'll buy one.
crocket

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Turbonator is another example of a load of charlatans ripping off the gullible.

Do you really think that all that swirly stuff will still be happening after the gas has passed through an intercooler, up the inlet manifold and through a set of valves?
Anything that you put into your inlet that isn't positiveley increasing pressure (such as a turbo) will restrict rather than 'open-up' performance.

I really wish you luck with it and I'm sure you'll be able to convince at least yourself, after fitting, that their wild claims are true but, really, if it was "more efficient than any turbocharger, supercharger, blower, or intercooler" as they say then surely drag racers and such like would be fitting them.

Funny how these people rely on old fashioned turbos and superchargers.

No, the Turbonator is a load of old BS and, I'm sorry to say that you will be dissapointed.

IMO.
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always wary of these things, it's like the the magnet on the fuel lines, 35 bhp is a big claim, can't help think if power is that easy the manufacturers would have done it.
crocket

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. If it were so easy then the manufacturers would do it.

I currently do work for Toyota Motors UK at their Derby car-manufacturing plant so have a pretty good idea of the vast resources poured into getting more go for less fuel.

If you really need better mileage and performance then I'd suggest that the 3.1TD Trooper is not the car for you. Try a gas-converted 4.0 petrol 4x4 perhaps.
mean machine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi crocket  the turbonator is worth a try they are giving a 120 day money back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: