4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Choosing a Bighorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookeal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 0:32    Post subject: Choosing a Bighorn Reply with quote

Hi,
New member here looking for a spot of advice:
Have been looking for a couple of months for a well spec'd Bighorn (low miles, sunroof, possibly leather, 7 seats etc) without much success and have actually started down the import route. However a couple of examples that fit the bill have become available and I have a few questions:

First One: 1995, 42,000, Lotus, Leather, Auto, Aircon, Climate,  Overdrive - Private Sale £4200

Second One: 1994, 71,000, Similar spec to above - Dealer - £4995

Have spoken to private seller and been told; MPG 18-23 -seems low?, Little bit of smoke "if you floor it" which caused me a bit of worry, auto shiftdown is sensitive - should any of this cause undue worry? Also no auction certificate or proof of miles?

These cars are 100 miles from me in opposite directions and so before I go to have a look I was wondering if there are any pertinent questions I should be asking on the phone?

Thanks all in advance for any words of wisdom!

Alex
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 0:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wayneh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cookeal and welcome to the club. both vehicles seem a little over priced to me, for a 94-95 i would not pay anymore than £3500, as for the mpg you should be looking at average mid 20's. you will get black smoke when flooring a diesel but this should clear after a few seconds.
crocket

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both way overpriced even if immaculate.
However, one good question to ask is what the part number is on the turbo - they will be able to see it if they really try - and, if it's a VIAN it will fail sometime soon so you should factor in the cost of a new one.
If they say it's a VICC then it has been done and will be fine.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices have gone through the floor no doubt, and I guess it's because HisTonyness and the gang don't like us 'cos we're killing the planet. I paid £4,000 3 years ago for a 60Kmile Bighorn form a private seller. It's been a very good car/ and I reckon I got it at  reasonable price for then.

Figure dealers to be £1K above what you could get it privately for as they are not mostly dealing in cash, but they have lot's of wiggle room with finance commissions etc., so I reckon £3,500 from a private seller for 94-96 model as Wayne says. The later the model the more electronics and higher hp. About 125hp for 95 and up I believe so the '94 will be 113hp and mostly mechanical. (not a bad thing - less sensors to go wrong!)

As for the turbo, there are many older and original turbos still running fine at 100K miles and up so I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's quiet and doesn't kickout blue smoke. A replacement (later) turbo with labour would be around £500 any way. Don't worry about the "sensitive" kickdown,I think we may have answers to that!

Black smoke is normal on hard acceleration. Just watch even brand new cars....... It is the extra fuel that the turbo needs before the cylinder can use it. Consumption should be mid 20's really, whether you're towing or running bare. I've towed bad assed loads and never gone below 22mpg. I've also run around at 1750 rpm on a motorway and never achieved more than about 28 mpg!

The first one at £4,200 is obviously the better deal and sounds a nice car with the leather and all. I would make sure the guy has serviced it and changed oil regularly - this is the big diesel bugbear. If they don't change the oil at least every 5,000 miles the oil is gonna be liquid soot with the same protective qualitites!

Then, walk away from it and tell him that's it's just too dear whilst rustling the cash in your pocket. Only take £3,750 with you and see if he wants to play. I got £500 off mine no problem.

Hope he's not a member here though.... Embarassed

Hope this helps....sorry it's a bit long but I'm bored.... Wink

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that since the problem with the 3.0 has been mostly sorted, the prices of isuzus have started to rise again.
Bad news for new buyers, but great news for those that allready own one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much guys - have given me a bit to think about!

3500 as a target seems good - just cant seem to find one at that price...

Some harcore haggling required I think.

Thanks again

Alex
rabbitt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

sit and wait if you have the time , i paid £1300 for my "94" 3.1 bighorn witch had 72k on it when i got it with 12 month t+t

scan eebuygum everday and the auto trader , if you can aford to wait for the right one it will pay off

just as a point of reference i found this in 30 secs Smile

http://cgi.eebuygum.co.uk/ws/eebuygum.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AVRI&viewitem=&item=180080295893&rd=1&rd=1

ps welcome to itoc
wayneh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this bighorn on eebuygum
http://cgi.eebuygum.co.uk/isuzu-trooper-3-1-bighorn_W0QQitemZ160079474968QQihZ006QQcategoryZ52636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]
cookeal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WayneH,

Mileage 134,000 should this cause concern - I have been looking at around 60-80000 as reasonable?

Viewed second one from first post today - lovely condition (leather perfect etc) - dealer hinted at 4500 - still too much I think?

Thanks
Alex
MartQ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cookeal,

If it's any help, I paid £4995 for my 94 lotus bighorn with 65000 on the clock and thought it was a little overpriced then.  2 years ago.

But then, I WANTED it!
creekmoorchris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its a simple question, but regarding mileage, are we looking at miles or kilometers?  This will make a huge difference.  Just bought mine 3.1 trooper, with 100,000 kms, 12 months MOT and taxed, service history, and clean and tidy £1,000.  Dealer thought 100,000 mile was a bit high, I forgot to tell him it was all in KMS!!!!!!!! Very Happy
wayneh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its got some history and you can see its been well maintained 134k is just run in. i paid £3000 for my 1997 citation 3.1 lwb in november from a dealer. it has done 132k but i have a wallet full of reciepts for services and repairs so hopefully she should do the same again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: