2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Four wheel drive problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyemat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:31    Post subject: Four wheel drive problem Reply with quote

hi everyone, i'm a new member so i'm hoping someone can help with a problem.

I own a Isuzu Trooper 3.1 Td Duty R reg 98 and the four wheel drive doesn't appear to be working problerly (but it could just be me!).  On slippy ground the rear wheels spin and the front wheels are stationary when in both 4H nad 4L.   Have read in the owner's manual about locking hubs and on-the-fly models; first question how do you know which version you've got? second question - the alloys are not original and appear to have no locking mechanism on the front, could this be because they are just different alloys not allowing access to the locking mechanism?

need to know because i use the vehicle on the croft and at the mo it won't perform and have to resort to trusty beat up old P reg landy, series 3!

cheers all

mat
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,

The question regarding the hubs is a simple one... here are pics of the two kinds. Its also worth checking the manual lockers are not hidden behind the alloy centre caps  Rolling Eyes

Locking:

Auto:

Note: pics show Toyota - Isuzu are pretty much the same.
skyemat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers chris, thanks for the swift info.  i've not actually taken the wheel off yet but was going to tomorrow - i have had the centre cap of the alloy off and there is nothing that resembles the mechanism as in the pic/manual.  the only other bit of info i have is that the four wheel drive indicator light on the dash is never on apart from at 'lamp test' when vehicle is first switched on.  

it seems a strange one as i know it should be straightforward as you say.  any more help much appreciated as i'm at a bit of a loss mate

mat
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha... if the lamp is not lighting on the dash and your hubs are auto then get underneath and check the wiring on the front diff - the little plugs have a habit of breaking/corroding etc. There are plenty of other posts about this in the Gearbox/drivetrain section.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. You can see the auto hub poking out on the Toyota photo, but on the standard Bighorn alloy, the wheel centre is flush...no hub to be seen! Confused

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine at that age you will be looking at shift on the fly. Check the connections to the solenoid on the front axle as these can come adrift, also you have vacuum hoses too check these are ok also and I believe there is a switch on the transfer lever too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: