All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dread
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 0:47    Post subject: Towing Reply with quote

Hi people.

I  have just bought a new caravan, and pick it up in March. But have just been told that because it has a stabalizer in the tow hitch (alk-ko) I will not be able to hitch to the trooper (94) without taking the sparewheel off? have any of you had ,heard , or got over this problem? It sounds expensive to me.

Thanks, Dread.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 0:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

brains

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbish m8 it goes no where near the spare ,the stableizer is conected to the tow bar with an aditional bracket bolted to the ball.
i think they are trying to sell you some more stuff that you dont need but you will need the stableizer to stop the caravan from weaving .
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I had real problems on mine

Go and buy yourself a 3/4 inch spacer and longer bolts from somewhere like halfords and put that on and you will have no problems. (only a couple of quid!)

Just make sure that you have cleaned the tow ball as dirty balls mess up the alko fitting

(Brian - for info the issue with the alko is that the handle is so long that when unhitched fouls the bottom of the spare wheel - no issue once connected)
Peter Bonnell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure you get the AL-KO tow ball aswell , they stand further off than a standard one , I use a 2 inch spacer and have no problems at all
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bonnell wrote:
Also make sure you get the AL-KO tow ball aswell , they stand further off than a standard one , I use a 2 inch spacer and have no problems at all

Good point - forgot the obvious!  Embarassed
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian from telford wrote:
rubbish m8 it goes no where near the spare ,the stableizer is conected to the tow bar with an aditional bracket bolted to the ball.
i think they are trying to sell you some more stuff that you dont need but you will need the stableizer to stop the caravan from weaving .

Brian, the new Alko types operate directly on the tow ball, using the large handles to lock it, these when open interfere with the spare wheel. There are some 4x4's where it's very difficult to hitch up. I think coming in at an angle is a solution and I do believe you can get different locking handles which help ,though obviously you have to buy these!
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ... if its the AL-KO type then make sure there is no trace of grease or oil on the ball - the stabiliser operates by clamping a set of nylon pads around the ball and relys on friction to operate correctly
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove the plastic part of the handle as well and this will remove the problem.
andrewk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimBanham wrote:
You can remove the plastic part of the handle as well and this will remove the problem.

Alko sell a removable handle for about £28 which overcomes the problem completely, so I'm told.   A 2ins spacer might solve the problem for you, as suggested earlier - but they can't be used with a post-98 Trooper, as they wouldn't have been tested with the tow bracket for EU approval.

I solved the problem in a different way -  by buying a combination 50mm ball & pin rated at 3500kg.  This stands off the tow bracket by about an inch more even than the Alko towball.  It creates a problem too, as the ball is galvanised - which makes the Alko stabiliser screech - so you'll need to sand all the zinc off the ball.   It took me a few hours with some medium/fine wet & dry - now quiet, but starting to rust   Sad
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew

Is this the sort of towball you mean

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=1331

Cheers
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get away with a normal AL-KO ball and a small 3/4" spacer, back up to the caravan then open the rear door before coupling up ... it gives me enough room to hitch up then drop the stabiliser handle and shut the back door. It is a case of weighing the job up carefully as it misses by a few inches.
Richardhw
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on the model of stabiliser mine is an alko 1300 which only has a short handle so no problems at all,although I dont believe it is as good as the ones with the longer handles (something to do with the friction pads)
drmuir
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy a replacement handle from towsure much shorter and removes once locked down makes job much easier .

Dougie .
Dread
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 20:00    Post subject: Towing Reply with quote

Hi, Thank you to all.
Sad
Very good advice , have gone with the alk-ko towball and had a 1" steel spacer made longer bolts and have tried it on mates new van and it's close 3/8" with door closed as i can't get close to his van with door open! will have to see on the 16th if I got it right. if not the towsure advice seems to be good , THANKS AGAIN, NICE TO HAVE THIS CHANNEL OF GOOD ADVICE AND A FAIR BIT OF  HUMAN COMMUNICATION.  Very Happy

Dread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: