4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

help for newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bighorn_92

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:03    Post subject: help for newbie Reply with quote

hello all excellent site. I have a 1992 trooper 3.1td bighorn auto. I browsed through the site and found loads of info on my problem which is the shifting down while crusing along and also my speedo is stuck. will the shifting down do more damage i should be concerend with or can i live with it? I do a lot of towing mainly.Also im in 'Cork ireland and was wondering if ye lads knew where i could get a cheap replacement speed sensor? as my speedo is stuck at 70mph and is would the speed densor replacement definatly fix this? i know sweet *beeb* all about the trooper so nows a good a time as any. also could i give the speed sensor replacement a go myself?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome to the forum. It is most likely that changing the speed sensor will cure the speedo. There is a lot of info on the forum but basically there seem to be 2 different types, 2 wire and 3 wire and you should replace like with like. From a UK breaker (they are quite a rare animal) they are £50 ish and from Isuzu/Vauxhall probably £250 or thereabouts.

The manic shifting thing is well documented also. You can drive around it like many have but it seems to be caused by a worn Throttle Position Sensor, again, there's plenty of info on the Gearbox and transmission forum on how to adjust it. It's not possible at the moment to buy just the sensor as Isuzu want you to buy the throttle body too @ £300 ish.  Shocked

I've adjusted mine successfully and I'm really happy that I've cured the manic shifting problem for now anyway.

We are trying to see if we can get them from Oz or NZ where they sell them separately, or source a regular non Isuzu sensor from a UK source that will work OK.

In the meantime, in answer to your question re: will it damage my box, of course as a mechanical item, you are wearing it out quicker with more shifting!

Two things to remember about this (or any) auto box. Whilst it's fine for regular use, Isuzu themselves recommend changing ATF every 20,000 miles for heavy duty work and towing - plus it's VERY advisable to fit an additional transmission cooler in series with the standard one for HD and towing work. Excess heat is the enemy of auto boxes...

Hope this helps... Smile

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
bighorn_92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great thanks very much for the info I will try to get a speed sensor somewhere definatly wont get new at that price tho! unless i realy have to like when its time for my doe test in september!. I have a mate in brisbane who i could ask about the parts and ill pass on the info if hes able to get some on their own as you say.
thanks again
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, new they are $A80 in Oz....
Please keep us in the loop if he can get them and how much the postage would be. I should think they probably weigh less than a gnats pube.  tongue8

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
MartQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the speedo stuck at 70 even when switched off?  If so would suspect needle is touching fascia, in which case changing the sensor won't fix it.  If the dial has been swapped for a mph front, this may have happened at the time it was swapped as they are quite fragile.  Easy way to tell if the face plate has been swapped is if the speedo reads mph but the odometer is in km.
bighorn_92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi marty no the speedo goes back to 0 when shes turned off.
MartQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that then  Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: