All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2.8td Thermostat housing region....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wisecobandit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10    Post subject: 2.8td Thermostat housing region.... Reply with quote

OK still trying to overcome an oil/water mixing problem i have on my 2.8td and want/need to know an answer if anyone knows....

Underneath the thermostat housing there is a short (5") coolant pipe which feeds in/out the base of the thermostat housing into a steel pipe at the base of the block.(turbo side near the front)

Ive removed this coolant pipe and the feed from the base of the thermostat housing is nearly neat engine oil instead of coolant when the engines running  Confused

Is there supposed to be oil running through the base of the thermostat housing?There looks to be some kind of by pass assembly in there?

Guess the next job for me is stripping this out next...  Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

brains

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont sopose some one originaly wanted to way the motor in and so to make it heaver put oil in the cooling system or you said it looked as if the head gasket had been done before , may be they did not clean it out properley?
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that not something to do with the bottem spring on the t-stat Confused  Confused  Confused

What we need is a good diagram of the coolent paths.

Grandad would know for sure.
wisecobandit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil coming out the pipe is pretty clean and not the old gummy rubbish that was in there prior to me doing the head gasket as a suspect problem.

The problem is even the engine manual doesnt give any info as such about the thermostat base unit (not the housing top as such)

The hose im talking about looks to be listed as "water inlet suction hose" and is 17 mm internal diameter and about 5 1/2 " long.

As for a diagram of coolant paths (but you probably know) the coolant in the engine is contained until the thermostat opens which then brings in the radiator into operation.
The coolant leaves the water pump/engine block - thermostat - top hose- radiator-lower hose- engine block/water pump       I assume  Question
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two outlets on the bottom of the housing though.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should read inlets Embarassed
wisecobandit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it may have just been oil which has been sitting in the heater matrix but need to get an engine cut off solenoid before i can start it up to check out my theory..
Took off the thermostat housing and there didnt appear to be any way in which oil could get in... Wink
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this engine have an oil cooler that uses the cooling system to cool the oil there are engines that have these and they do allow oil into the cooling water when they go wrong
cheers
GM
wisecobandit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasemonkey wrote:
does this engine have an oil cooler that uses the cooling system to cool the oil there are engines that have these and they do allow oil into the cooling water when they go wrong
cheers
GM

Hadnt thought of that one mate.
Will have a look next time im working on it.I dont think it has but i cant say ive ever looked properly.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

greasemonkey wrote:
cheers
GM

I had oil in my coolant... how do you identify and fix this problem with an oil cooler as mentioned??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: