All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Blown Head Gasket Urgent Info. Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 21:56    Post subject: Blown Head Gasket Urgent Info. Needed Reply with quote

Unfortuneately blown the head gasket on my 1995 3.1 Bighorn Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad , the top hose had a slight leak that due to the foam outer i could not see and I am not mechanicly minded Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed .

it is now in the garage for repair the mechanic has mentioned that due to the turbo timer if he needs to turn off the engine a bit quick when testing the new gasket etc. the engine will run (most of the time for approx. 40 seconds or so) is there a way of dissconnecting it temporarily, or is there really a need for it in the first place  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused . any advice would be most appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 21:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the instructions for the timer? if not do you know the model variant you may be able find instructions on the internet? does it not have a fused supply to the unit that you can take out while it's in for repair?
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is illegal to leave a car running unattended in this country, but they are good for the turbo.

If it was me I would disconnect it and make a point of idling for a while after a hard drive.
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like turbo timers, they can save a lot of money by saving a turbo from burning out  Very Happy

Tell him to pull the wire of the injector pump  Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mechanic who is doing your head gasket doesn't know how to switch off an engine???    This not rinning alarm bells for anyone else??

The turbo timer will be on the stop solinoid on the fuel pump.

Am I right in thinking that taking the batteries off will stop the engine? Don't know if there is a meachanical override for the fuel stops on ther

01553 845 945
TDR

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 18:41    Post subject: Head Gasket Blown Urgent Info. wanted Reply with quote

Thanks all for your advice Very Happy  Very Happy , as I said I am not mechanicly minded can anyone tell me how to dissconnect the turbo timer,I do not drive it hard so it should not be a problem.
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it not have a button on it to switch it off  Question
If not give us the model and we will do our best to find out  Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a unit mounted under the dash with an on-off button. You might too. Also... I was told that in these size vehicles the turbo timer actually could do more harm than good. They were designed for diesel trucks when revving hi and pulling enormous load (ie to top a hill) and then stopping. Only if the revs are over 2500 and you stop instantly would this really stress your turbo out. Otherwise if you slow revs before you sop it should be fine.

That's what I am told anyway... sure to be other opinions on this...
tofer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the same but I have a turbocharged petrol car and I always idle it for 10-20 seconds before killing the motor. AFAIK if you switch off whilst the turbo is still spinning you are cutting the oil supply to the turbo instantly whilst it is still turning at a fair old rate. And as some other people on here will testify it's a pig to change the turbo on a trooper, especially a 3.1td.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: