All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Come on Isuzu!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine only takes a few cranks ( Embarassed ) to start that is but thought I would ask
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 14:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

reborntrooper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right done nothing to her yet  Embarassed  but now starts every time on exactly 5 secs..........is this too long still???
Still the laughting stock at work especially since i also ride a motorbike  8) and was accussed the other day as to the only reason i was using the bike was because the car wouldn't start! Twisted Evil
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't contribute any wisdom here, but it reminded me how much things have changed. We now want to "touch" the button for it to start whilst many years ago, on a cold damp morning, you would be well chuffed if it went after about 15 mins of cranking, administrations of WD40 curses, burning incense, chanting and having the neighbours help bump start it.

And if you were unlucky enough to own a diesel in frosty weather it would be Easistart, burning rags, bonfires under the sump etc etc....

Progress is a wonderful thing. 5 seconds, heaven... Smile

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
drmuir
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 secs sounds about spot on . i spoke to isuzu direct when i bought my trooper new because like u it took about 5 secs to start they told me that  was about right .
reborntrooper
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx Hard1 and drmuir reminds me why i like this site always a positive attitude towards any questions(and my ramblings)
Stuff the world and its oppinions I love my troopy and as my user name suggests i've come back to a newer but same old beast that gets your heart thumping on every trip out (Almost as much as a good blast on my motorbike Shocked )Perhaps I was expecting too much in the way of comparing it with my old car!

5 seconds it is then! Very Happy
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

shows things have changed! emmisions rules on new cars mean they have to start within the first full engine rotation!!
recoverytim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too ended up putting new batteries in.... a mate told me to use nothing but 5w-30w oil otherwise it takes too long to fill up the common rail... It seems to have done the trick. But recently my truck has been really struggling to actually pick up when starting, a bit of a chug-a-chug-a-chug-achugachugchugchugchugchchchchchchchchchchchchVROOOOMMMMMMM.......

Any ideas? (hope you like that sound clip!)
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glow plugs?
UpAndOver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 13:34    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

I still have my Trooper (98 s-reg) 3.0TD Citation.  WIth the new engine fitted at 108,000miles I did not expect to have the same hard starting problems I was previously encountering.  Probably 10+secs of cranking till it fires when cold.  Plus some white smoke from unburnt diesel.  New battery too.

So I've ordered the Hard Start kit from Milner and expect to get it fitted next week before the MOT re-test.  It failed due to the leakage round the tank.

I will post my experience of starting after the fitting.

Jon

Confused
glenos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still have my Trooper (98 s-reg) 3.0TD Citation.  WIth the new engine fitted at 108,000miles I did not expect to have the same hard starting problems I was previously encountering.  Probably 10+secs of cranking till it fires when cold.  Plus some white smoke from unburnt diesel.  New battery too.

So I've ordered the Hard Start kit from Milner and expect to get it fitted next week before the MOT re-test.  It failed due to the leakage round the tank.

I will post my experience of starting after the fitting.

Jon

two words "GLOW PLUGS"

Mine was the same fitted some new glow plugs and it is a different truck. Crude test is to check the resistance between the connector on the firewall (near the windscreen wiper motor) and earth, should be 0.3 Ohm, anymore and you have dodgy glow plugs.

www.jackaroo.australia4wd.com
UpAndOver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 18:15    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

Many thanks Jackaroo!

I'll certainly get the Glow Plugs checked.  Can they fail that quickly?  New engine with glow plugs only a few hundred miles ago!  And the main dealer wanted to replace the fuel tank to fix the leakage...

Jon
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, this.

I have just sold my '99 3.0 and bought an '02 version.

The '99 was always slow to fire-up, probably taking about 4 seconds of cranking after operating the glow plugs. It also cranked a little slower than the specified speed when checked on TS2 and got no better with new batteries. It didn't bother me though because I was lead to expect it to be slow to start anyway.

The '02, on the other hand, spins over really quickly on the starter and starts in just 1-2 seconds - even if I turn the key straight to start and don't bother to wait for the glow plugs. OK, the weather's not cold just now, but even so.....!

The guy who bought the '99 then came on to tell me that he'd found a high resistance in the cable between the two batteries which he'd found when looking for the reason for the voltmeter showing no more than 13v. He says the cranking speed and start-up time have improved now he's fixed the cable.

Maybe relevant to you, Reborn?
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Glow Plugs goes, I replaced mine 12mths ago cause of the long starting times and plooms and plooms of white smoke (I was worried that the Fire Brigade would turn up each morning).  It rectified the problem.

However come this winter, there are similar symptoms, without the white smoke though.  I am curious if perhaps one or two of mine have spat the dummy, I will be checking with the multimeter today.  However I am a little dubious that this is the problem, as there is a decent voltage drop when the ignition is turned on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: