Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

what engine oil type?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tourist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
I doubt UK Isuzu dealers buy their oil from Japan, I suspect it will come from their local oil wholesaler here in the UK.

IMO, the reason why those Japanese engine manufacturers never draw your attention to JASO is because of lack of availability. Imagine, if they insisted or simply tell you their preference for JASO spec'ed oil and you can't find it, will it do their vehicle sales any good?

I found out about JASO because even to this very day, Isuzu engine bay sticker label still only list the use of API-CD engine oil. An oil considered obsolete by API. Isn't that funny?

This is my guess: There is a JASO older CD & CD+ oil specification and it's pretty close to API-CD and very different from the newer but less-suitable API-CG4 etc. And since API is well known but not JASO, they still put the stick as API-CD instead.

JASO DH1 is the latest spec oil.

My 2 pence.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have read H1`s post about global DHD-1 spec and it seems this spec was to meet 1998 emission standards in heavy duty diesels with a cc of 3.9 or more every test in the post was for commercial diesels  these are probably the reasons why car and light commercial md`s dont know about it as it don`t apply to them
Tourist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so sure. Brand new Isuzu diesel engines of 2.5 liter to 3 liter capacity I came across still carry the "Use API-CD" sticker inside the engine bay. I have seen that sticker since the late 1990 to 2007.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also applies to vehicles over 8,000lbs in weight - i.e. commercials, according to that document...

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Tourist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to bite your teeth in. An old article stored in my pc.

JASO DX-1 (now known as JASO DH-1) is the new diesel lubricant specification currently under development for Japanese heavy duty engines. This proposed specification incorporates test procedures from North America, Europe, and Japan.

Outside of Japan, Japanese OEMs have been recommending API CD oils for service fill for many years. However, some field performance deficiencies with API CD have been observed. The Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA) does not believe that any of the current API specifications fully address their performance needs and are, therefore, proposing a new specification for higher quality oils to meet the increasing requirements of their new, low emission engines. The JASO DX-1 specification will address three key performance areas: valve train wear, piston deposits and exhaust gas recirculation (EGR).

A primary concern of Japanese OEMs has been the potential for valve train wear (VTW) with high dispersant oils. Relatively high levels of VTW had been observed in OEM evaluations of API CG-4 oils. Therefore, the Mitsubishi 4D34T test was developed to measure VTW protection in diesel lubricants in a typical Japanese engine.

Another major OEM concern has been piston deposits. Typically, the top ring is positioned lower on the piston in Japanese engines com-pared to the low emission designs in Europe and North America. This generally results in lower top ring temperatures in Japanese engines. Since recent piston deposit tests in the industry were developed to address temperatures hotter than those characteristic of Japanese applications, the Nissan TD-25 test was included to measure piston deposits under conditions typical of Japanese diesel engines.

The third OEM concern has been exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). EGR significantly increases the potential for high levels of acid in the oil and resulting engine component corrosion. JASO DX-1 is therefore likely to include a minimum TBN requirement of 10 by ASTM D4739, which is approximately equal to 11-12 TBN by ASTM D2896.
Tourist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another old article
Diesel Trends 9
Oil Performance Requirements for JASO DH-1

On October 10, 2000, the JASO Engine Oil Implementation Panel officially introduced JASO DH-1, the new diesel lubricant specification for Japanese heavy-duty engines.
The quality of JASO DH-1 diesel lubricants for 4-cycle diesel engines is specified under the Japanese Automobile Standard JASO M 355:2000. This standard specifies the lubricant performance required for engines that meet the strict exhaust emission regulations in Japan, as previously discussed in Diesel Trends 8. It requires oils with improved performance for abrasive-wear and corrosion protection, high-temperature oxidation stability, and soot control. In addition, it specifies performance related to controlling piston detergency, high-temperature deposits, foaming, oil consumption due to volatility, viscosity after shearing, and seal compatibility.

After many years of using API CD oils, the Japanese OEMs have started the Millennium with aggressive schedules to introduce higher-quality diesel engine oils to meet increasingly stringent emission requirements.

Japanese OEMs are expected to adopt JASO DH-1 as the specification for factory-fill oil as well as service-fill oil. OEMs are likely to introduce and promote DH-1 within the Japanese market before extending it to other Asian regions. It is the intention of OEMs to use the Asia Fuels and Lubricants Conference and other trade/industry conferences as forums to promote the use of DH-1.

Although JASO DH-1 was developed for new engines meeting strict exhaust emission regulations, it can also be applied to engines manufactured before the establishment of the regulations. In addition, it can be used for diesel fuel with sulfur content exceeding 0.05%, provided that the oil change practice is in accordance with the OEM's recommended drain intervals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: