4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4x4 schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitrat101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:11    Post subject: 4x4 schools Reply with quote

Hello all, I live out in Merseyside and wanted to know if anyone can recomend a 4x4 school that the wife can go off road without ruining my beast !! she wants to have a go before she tows the horse round the country competeing just incase she gets stuck. Any help glady recieved..

thanks

steve
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 22:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i wouldnt pay, very soon there will be a group of us doing some laning in north Wales, all it costs is your time and fuel, some sandwiches and a flask.

We allways go with an experienced driver to the front and rear and have all the time in the world to give advice  Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know when ya coming to north wales, i'll be there  Laughing

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Personally i wouldnt pay, very soon there will be a group of us doing some laning in north Wales, all it costs is your time and fuel, some sandwiches and a flask.

We allways go with an experienced driver to the front and rear and have all the time in the world to give advice  Very Happy

Wouldn't mind joining in that one Marky, but I have "other" comittments at weekends so would appreciate some reasonable notice. Is that possible?

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,,us 2 pls,,need plenty of notice tho,,,,
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a months notice be ok ?
But sometimes it will be off the cuff lets go sort of thing when the weather is fine  Very Happy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate.... Very Happy

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, we will include simple self recovery techniques but i dont think it will be needed if she takes care in the fields.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to towing a trailer off road is knowing when to stop before the problem gets too big.  Unfortunately this only comes with experience.  
In my opinion the most important thing to do would be to ensure your wife is confident with the vehicle and the trailer.  Both separate and together, going both forwards and backwards.  
If you feel she will respond better to someone else then look for a centre to at least give her the confidence in what the truck will do.  Have a look in the 4x4 magazines, they generally have a list of centres.  TOR do review some each month.  
Spend some time with her with the trailer, finding some places to reverse round.  Industrial estates at the weekend, or a tour round some local housing estates as they are quite tight.  
Then if any problems occur she will have the confidence to overcome them.  
Hope thats a little help.
pitrat101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, will keep a look out when you next in north wales or north west and if free will toddle over for a play as it looks like a good day. Again thanks, the wife is pottering around the farm at the mo just getting used to driving in 4wd.
Steam Hound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the opening topic, I phoned up a chap in south Wales whilst I was down there,
the advertisement / leaflet said play day  - I gave him a ring seems I was in the
area for a few days, To my amazement, he said that he can use his facility with
my troop and he would be with me, I guess kind of a tutorial thing, I asked how much?
He said £120 an hour plus I can extend the activity to another field near by at extra cost!
After the initial shock as subsided, I declined the offer!
Jeez man – Lets get real!
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 13:22    Post subject: Re: 4x4 schools Reply with quote

pitrat101 wrote:
Hello all, I live out in Merseyside and wanted to know if anyone can recomend a 4x4 school that the wife can go off road without ruining my beast !! she wants to have a go before she tows the horse round the country competeing just incase she gets stuck. Any help glady recieved..

thanks

steve

I don't see going to a 4x4 school will help her at horse shows/events.

There are always tractors to tow out competitors if the field is bad. Its just a case of not over reving and letting it creep out.

The common mistakes I see with horse trailers are setting of with wheels pointing to one side or trying to turn before getting going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: