4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Starter motor removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerryv6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:32    Post subject: Starter motor removal Reply with quote

Hi all from downunder,ie NZ
                         I'm a new member having just bought a 1992 Bighorn V6 3.2 which runs very well,Except I'm having a wee problem with the starter motor and I need to remove it and have a closer look.However,and this is a bit embarrising but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the blasted thing.Doesn't seem to be enough clearance to wriggle it out without dismantling most of the vehicle.Can someone help please.
Cheers gerryv6.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

boritz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day neighbour,

I have read about (but not tried) three techniques:

1. Undo the engine mounts, place a block of timber under the sump and jack the engine up to get enough clearance to extract the starter.

2. Isuzu workshop manual says remove the left bank engine exhaust pipe between the manifold and the 'Y' pipe. Risk is seized/broken bolts.

3. Dismantle the starter in situ and remove it in bits.

Can't find anything on this site, but search for +starter +v6 on http://forum.planetisuzoo.com or http://www.4x4wire.com/forums

Here's one to get you 'started' Laughing  http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=13792
gerryv6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:02    Post subject: starter motor removal Reply with quote

Bonza Matey,
                Thanks for the very helpful reply.I figured that the exhaust removal would be the way to go but was dreading the removal of the nuts as they have been in a while.Might try the engine mount option first.You've been a great help.Thanks  .
Gerry
boritz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes, and which method works for you.

Sad I may need to know in the future  Very Happy
gerryv6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:02    Post subject: Starter motor removal Reply with quote

Yes,will do.Probably get to it this weekend
gerryv6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:26    Post subject: Starter motor removal Reply with quote

Hi boritz,
            I looked at all the options.The engine raising was out as I had no means at present of lifting it and anyway the mountings were almost impossible to get at.The dismantling was out because it is not possible to get in with a hand let alone spanners as well.
So I decided to have a go at removing the down pipe.A 14mm six sided socket for grip and very careful use of a long bar was sufficient to crack the nuts.
I discovered that the inner nut was very difficult to get to with 1/2 inch drive bars,so on that one I had to combine 1/2 and 3/8 bits to get enough clearance up beside the exhaust.The nuts had almost rusted solid to the studs which are permantly fixed to the manifold by the way,so I didn't want to snap them off.However very careful unwinding got them off without any damage and the starter motor was a simple job to remove.

Thinking I had nothing to lose by having a look at the motor myself,I dismantled it and discovered that there was a lot of general corrosion internally but brushes and bearings were okay.
(The thing had been kicking out the bendix but wouldn't turn the rotor)
I cleaned everything and reassembled the unit.Presto it now spins the engine perfectly every time.
saved myself at least $200 for a recon unit.

Again thanks for the suggestions boritz.Much appreciated.

gerryv6

1992 Isuzu Bighorn V6 DOHC 24v 3.2ltr Irmscher RS short w/b
boritz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, glad you got the job done  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: