Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What battery power do I need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
essentuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:59    Post subject: What battery power do I need? Reply with quote

I own a 1999 Isuzu MU 3 litre Turbo Diesel.

I do not own ANY technical manuals/owners handbooks and am having problems starting the vehicle.

I live in Southern Russia and last night the temperature was minus 12.

My current battery is a Toyota Genuine Part and is rated at 72 amp/hour, it would not start the vehicle this morning!

Mind you, I bought the battery as a replacement 3 years ago when I lived in Cyprus. Probably okay for those conditions but NOT for conditions in Russia.

What battery would people recommend?

Many thanks, waiting for a reply before I go out to purchase a new one. Currently stuck 300 kilometres from home, a quick reply would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff Gordon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

As big capacity as you can get in that case size.  I've started my 2.8 MK1 Trooper in minus 16C with no problems but if the battery is getting old it won't help.  IMO your best buy would be a block heater of some sort so you can warm the engine before you start either a plug in electrical one like a Kenlowe hotstart or a fuel burner like the Eberspacher units.  Both can be used with a timer to preheat the engine before you get up.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dxmedia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 ah would be fine for ciprus, running the dual batteries over here it's the equivilant of 110 ah, so have a look at something around that figure or greater? Try getting the largest battery you can phsically fit (tractor / truck) should solve the problem Very HappyVery Happy

01553 845 945
essentuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
As big capacity as you can get in that case size.  I've started my 2.8 MK1 Trooper in minus 16C with no problems but if the battery is getting old it won't help.  IMO your best buy would be a block heater of some sort so you can warm the engine before you start either a plug in electrical one like a Kenlowe hotstart or a fuel burner like the Eberspacher units.  Both can be used with a timer to preheat the engine before you get up.

Thanks for that.

Where I am at the moment the car is outside, at home I have a heated garage so that is not a problem.

I am currently stuck about 300 kilometres from home in a small Russian village. What power of battery should I be looking for, 95 amp/hour, 105 amp/hour?

I will be unable to buy any premium-brand batteries until I return home, yes, maybe I should buy the most powerful in my case-size and hope that that works!

Snowing like crazy at the moment, looks like I will be stuck here regardless of the battery Sad    Sad  Sad

Thanks again,

Jeff Gordon
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.0 in the UK is fitted with dual batteries... a single battery will not provide enough power to start in -12 conditions.

I will try and find out what size they are fitted with and post back asap.
rangielover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the 4jx1 MU, basically a frontera.

is the oil too thick in these cold conditions?
dxmedia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock battery on the 3.1 is a 069 and there are two.  I'd go for the largest 12v battery you can find. You can't cause any damage (as long as the top of the battery is clear of any metal)

There are no issues with putting a 'too big' battery in an electrical circuit - the circuit will only pull the power it requires.

01553 845 945
essentuki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Beesley wrote:
The 3.0 in the UK is fitted with dual batteries... a single battery will not provide enough power to start in -12 conditions.

I will try and find out what size they are fitted with and post back asap.

Thanks.

Have had the battery on charge for the past 4 hours and, whoa and behold, the car started Very Happy

Too late to attempt the journey tonight, too much snow and it's going dark; will try tomorrow.

Have taken the battery out of the car and will trickle charge overnight.

Still require the details reference the new battery I must buy once I get home, hopefully tomorrow Very Happy

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to help, much appreciated.

Jeff Gordon.
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say, get the biggest battery in that case size you can find.  I use a diesel transit battery to start my 5.7L V8, biggest I could find.  As others have said, there is no such thing as too big.  If you are in an area that is regulalrly this cold in winter then a twin battery conversion would be a good idea and if you have to stay away from your heated garage a lot then invest in a fuel burning block heater.

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth checking you are using 5w30 oil... or even 0w30
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it can make a big difference using thinner oil in cold weather.  When I got my chevy it had 20W50 in it and it should be 10W30, changed the oil and it started so much better.  Theres a scale of oil viscosity vs temp in the owners handbook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: