4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How to remove centre console to get at radio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minimoog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 15:54    Post subject: How to remove centre console to get at radio? Reply with quote

Hi - I need to pull my stereo head unit out so I can fit a radio band expander. It's the Mk3 curvey dash (late 95) and the factory head unit pokes through the aperture in the console, so I need to remove it. I can see two screws at the top below the heater controls but I'm guessing that there are more at the bottom behind the moulding which surrounds the transmission shifters - is that right?

Any particular tricks or tecniques needed or does it all come apart and re-assemble nice and easily?

Is the stereo likely to require any special tools to release it once the dash moulding is removed?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 15:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

binx1310

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i just did this on my brothers '94 duty to get at some wires. im doing this from memory so sorry for any minor innacuracies!

there are 2 screws at the top of the console above the radio i think, 2 at the very bottom. two above the dials and i think one or two either side of the steering wheel underneath. Just feel round all the trim and where you feel a hole there is likely to be a screw. i think it is 6 in total.

There is one clip in the centre at the top to the left of the windscreen wiper knob but that will come out with no troubel. when all the screws are out it just pulls straight forward. reach round and undo all the plugs. some of the clips are a little awkward. Dont forget the ones on the lighter and the one on the anti theft light. The one on the lighter to the right as you look at the front of it is the illumination bulb in a little balck holder. this twists to undo.

Then pull the dash off, you lean the top towards you first and lift up. Its a bit awkward to get out from around the steering column trim but its not too bad. refitting is the reverso of removla and not too hard.
The trim between the centre console and the gear stick comes off with a screw either side and by flicking off the long cover on the front from the bottom edge and 2 screws behind there.

One around the gearstick has screws along each side and the gear knobs unscrew to lift that off and lift forward over hadnbreak. Havent removed that one myself but should be straight forward

General rule for trim in cars is if it wont come with due force then there is probably a screw or clip you are missing. I have pulled too ahrd and broken too many clips to find that out. Just feel round trim on all edges and you will eventually find the elusinve screw!

With regards to the radio, my brothers is the standard clarion one. I havent got round to changing this yet but it appears to be held in with two screws on each side. might be clips/more screws also but not sure about that yet.

Hope that helps

Will
binx1310

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked at the pictures of your trooper. the dash is completely different so have no idea where the screws are or how the headunit is held in!

but the general rules still apply. just feel around for screw holes and remember that someone might have had the dash out before and forgotten to put a screw back in the hole  Laughing  

Will
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: