Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

MoT Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 14:50    Post subject: MoT Questions Reply with quote

The MoT on the new troop falls dues on the day we due to go to France next at Easter so I'm gonna get it done a month before so i have time to sort any problems should it fail.  The question I have is I think the cam belt is due at 12K miles and its on around 116K, is it advisable to get it done before I put it in as I know they rev the danglers off it to check the emissions.  Every time I take it in for an MoT they ask me if the cam belt is up to date so I'm guessing it is possible for them to break/jump during the test.  If so I need to start thinking about arranging it now (not something I feel confident doing myself) also is it advisable to change the tensioner(s)?  It did have a full main dealer service history pretty much  up until I bought it so everything that should have been changed should have been!

Hopefully unless they find any rust it should go through, it's had new brake pads all round, new disks on the rear and a new master since I've had it, even tha handbrake works well which is a revelation after the MK1.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 14:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats should read 120K miles (damn you lack of an edit button!)

dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth changine at the sheduled time - shouldn't really matter for the MOT (although if it snaps you can't hold them responsible). 60000 miles is a safe distance... I've known vehicles with well over 100 000 on a single belt - but your in real lottery territory there.

For an MOT check -

Front end.

All rubber boots (CV, ball joins, track rods) are in good condition
Tyres are not nicked on the side walls
Tread is good across 75% of the tyre
Wheel bearings tight
Brake lines are not corroded (if they are paint grease on them with a stiff paint brush Wink )
Head lights and indicators work (front fogs are not part of the test)

Middle.

All breaklines are good (as above)

Back

Handbrake cable is in good condition
Break pipes in good condition (as above)
All rubbers on suspension good
Tyres in good condition
All lights work, only off side fog needs to work, but might as well check everything

Interiour

All seat belts if fitted work properly
Seats are securly bolted in
Steering wheel is secure.

Engine bay

All pipe work is not corrorded (paint with grease again if a problem)
No oil or diesel leaks

The above won't pass you, but it's all the simple checks which can be done at home with limited tools. If you go for a test with the majority sorted the tester might be a little leaniant with regards to advisorys.

Tip with emissions - get the engine HOT before the MOT, drive in 3rd to the station rather than 4th or similar, it will clean a lot of rubbish out of the system (I've got cars with knackered lambda sensors through by thrashing the balls off them before an emissions test Wink )

01553 845 945
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if it ever stops raining it'll get all the usual checks, tyres are about four months old, front brake pipes are a tad rusty in the wheel arches  but a little moly grease (its nice and black!) will help.  Lights all work as I check em regularly, I just need to give the suspension/steering the once over and have a little shufti for any rust.  This summer all the front bumper/protection etc is coming off so I can derust, paint and wax the chassis, same with the back end too.

Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and it'll get a couple of tankfulls of the mega pricey shell super diesel run through as I've found it does lower the emissions a little.  My MK1 emissions actually dropped from one year to the next on the stuff as opposed to normal supermarket diesel.

gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd do the belt, you can refuse to test a vehicle if there's no history of this, if you tell them not had a belt and if it goes it's still your fault!
like chris said a good check over of stuff, you'd be surprised how low standards are for an mot!!!
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably gonna get it done then and the tensioners replaced at the same time, I've just been out in it and actually its nearly on 117K so by the time we go to France in March and get back it'll be up there.

As to the rest, guys, I've got some eggs here, perhaps you could give me some instructions as to how to suck em...............After all, I've only been driving for 24 years so I've not put any dodgy old motors through an MoT before.... Wink

dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
I'm probably gonna get it done then and the tensioners replaced at the same time, I've just been out in it and actually its nearly on 117K so by the time we go to France in March and get back it'll be up there.

As to the rest, guys, I've got some eggs here, perhaps you could give me some instructions as to how to suck em...............After all, I've only been driving for 24 years so I've not put any dodgy old motors through an MoT before.... Wink

If you fill a sauce pan with water, put in a little splash of vinegar, and on the hob at about 1/2 heat. Wait.......

Razz

There are some people who havent been driving that long who might be reading the comments though Wink

01553 845 945
K.Goodwin
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually just take mine and let them inspect it for me  Laughing

Twister wrote:
Always thought Troopers look their best in white

LTM 022
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: