4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ARE YOU COVERED?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:32    Post subject: ARE YOU COVERED? Reply with quote

I've just come across a glitch in the insurance of 4X4's which is, I was asked recently to show that I was insured for off-road use, presumably for 1/3rd party liability. This is required for some events and off-road sites as a condition of entry. Well I checked and my 2007/8 Club Scheme Policy specifically excludes off-road use which was a bit of a shock, especially as I wasn't given an option. It wasn't mentioned at all on 2006/7 policy but a new sentence has crept in this year.

I have written to Gary asking if the existing cover could be extended or a more suitable company be found, and I will let you know what he says. As he's always very helpful I'm sure there will be a straight forward solution.

But it got me thinking that there are quite a few members here that like to go to off-road sites, and even some of the more extreme "lanes" might cause your insurance company to think twice even though technically they are a "highway".

You're probably going to tell me "you should have known that" but I didn't, so I'm now assuming there are others like me blissfully unaware of the nuances of 4X4 insurance.

Your comments are welcome, and while we're at it, does your insurance include a towing clause? Not all do......

Happy Muddy New Year guys.....

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Keith, I did query this in a post recently, as I, the same as you was ignorant of any cover. It would appear cover is out there but has specified rather than given as standard. As an aside, on our caravan rallies,some sites are asking for proof of insurance and public liability cover, to a certain value.

LTM 24
Arthur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sites have public liability insurance, if someone wants to take there 4x4 round a course then they shouldn't be too annoyed if another crashes into them or any damage is caused, I did know you can get off-road insurance but never been bothered. At woodlands your car has to be Road Worthy- Tax,Insured(Road cover) and MoT'd, my mate crashed his SJ into a range rover,

Let us know if its more expensive Wink
Mitsu L200 Animal!
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur wrote:
Sites have public liability insurance, if someone wants to take there 4x4 round a course then they shouldn't be too annoyed if another crashes into them or any damage is caused, I did know you can get off-road insurance but never been bothered. At woodlands your car has to be Road Worthy- Tax,Insured(Road cover) and MoT'd, my mate crashed his SJ into a range rover,

Let us know if its more expensive Wink

I think the site where Hard1 was, is not an official commercial site, so hence personal insurance being necessary.

LTM 24
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public Liability insurance is a legal requirement for the site operator (The Occcupier) and not to be confused with vehicle insurance or 1/3rd party liability arising out of injury by a vehicle. The operator/occupier has a duty of care to ensure public safety and thus has to carry Public Liability insurance. This is why many events (not just 4X4) are no longer fiancially viable owing to the high cost of same.

Basically, if you injure yourself (or someone injures you) at an organised event, and the injury/accident was preventable by virtue of correct training, marshalling, signage etc then the operator could well be liable...unless of course, you were a complete teat and did yourself in... Laughing

Some issuers of Public Liability insurance may well insist that participants also carry the required off-road insurance. Certainly many clubs seem to be insisting that the vehicles are insured for off-road use. Quite how far this off road cover extends I'm not sure yet but it may not mean that the vehicles themselves are covered for damage - just injury...

PS, this didn't actually affect Bordon  - but an event I was considering attending in the near future..

What I don't know is, the financial implications for this kind of vehicle cover....anyone?

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
siweb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive Adrian Flux covers off road use.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFU  probably offer it?
Mitsu L200 Animal!
dxmedia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm covered with Adrian Flux, although NFU wanted to see a mechanics report for all of the mods... so can't comment about them Wink

01553 845 945
auto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

sureterm direct do for certain AS STANDARD!

Other half had them with her freeloader, and it stated on her policy for use including greenlaning, and off road recreational sites - fully comp!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: