All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Best operating temperature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:24    Post subject: Best operating temperature Reply with quote

Right then, I'm all fired up about an electric fan conversion.  Can anyone tell me what the ideal operating temp range would be for the fans.  The controller I'm looking at (thanks Hard1) will control twin fans seperately with the first coming in at 88 and going off at 83 and the second fan coming on at 92 and off at 87 which means you get the benefit of just one fan so drawing less at low temps and under heavy load/uphill etc then it brings the second one in.  Does this temp range sound about right, it is possible to go lower temp as the controller just uses indiustry standard intermotor temp switches as you'd normally put directly into a modern radiatior.  I'd also wire it up so I can switch them both on manually and have a telltale in the car.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right - around the 90's is a sensible temp to be working at for a diesel.

01553 845 945
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only concern is they say the sensor needs to go in the bottom hose (logical as you want the temp of the coolant returning to the engine not the hot coolant as it goes in as that way even if the rad is getting enough ram air to cool the water sufficiently you won't be measuring that fact just the hot water going in) and space is quite tight down there especially as the hose has a small bend in it.  It may be that I'll need to get a hose with an offset in it so it fits.  I'm waiting for the manufacturer to come back to me with some dimensions so I can check it out.  They also giove you wiring instructions so you can wire it up with a three way switch so you can have a manual off, overide and thermostat control choice with an indicator light to tell you the fan is working.

http://x-eng.co.uk/X-Therm.asp?MID=38

lotustower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to measure the temp of the water going into the engine to ensure it stays cool.  If it's the out temp it could be too late, hence the stat is on the in pipe along with all the temp sensors, and its the easiest to get at and cut open without draining the whole system out, but that's me being lazy.

Which set of fans are you using, and are they an easy fit to the back of the rad?
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't sourced any fans yet but several people on here seem to reccomend the twin fans off a V6 Mondeo as being a reasonable fit and cheap to find and I guess if it'll cool a 2.5L petrol lump with a/c it should pull enough cfm to cool a diesel.  Theres always a couple on eebuygum around the £25 mark.  I've kept my old knackered rad to use as a template to sort the mounts out on, much better than trying to do it in situ.  I may have to have a run around a few local scrapyards with a tape measure.  I have a mate who used twin fans of a citroen BX diesel on his disco but they're not so easy to find now, he reckoned it made a good hovercraft when he connected them up on the ground!

I hear what you're saying on the location, most of the fan controllers I've seen in the past have gone in the top hose so to be honest thats where I envisaged it  being until I read their blurb. Better to overcool it a touch than undercool it and risk cooking it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: