All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

old jvc home amp no right channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the flower man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 19:32    Post subject: old jvc home amp no right channel Reply with quote

hi all, this is not a car sterio but my be you can help? i have a JVC A-S3 silver intergrated amp for home use. it is mybe as old as me (30) but the sound and power is far better than anything moden that i can afford. it has 4 channels on a swich dile on the front  ( off,A,B,A+b ) in all these positions appart from off, i have no right channel Crying or Very sad it was ok and then i started to have less volume out of that side and not having the time to take it appart(and to know what i am doing) it has been left. i have no sound out that side now. what do you think it is? should i give up with it and start saving or are they like old motors which can be fixed. please let me know, i will try anything to get it working again Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 19:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the main power transistors have gone on the 1 channel. It's probably worth repairing, as you say, sounds far better than a modern amp. Have a look in the yellow pages for TV repairs, give em a call, it will probably cost around £40 to have fixed and a general service as well.

01553 845 945
the flower man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

are ok mate,and i couldnt do this my self no?
dxmedia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could Very Happy

What are you like with lectrics?

The power transistors will be (on an amp of that age) be 2 round ish components screwed to a heatsink with 3ish legs , unuslly at the back of the amp. You'll either need a multimeter which is capable of testing transistors whilst they are connected to a board, or an occiloscope and know how to test... sorry dunno how to do this   Laughing

Somewhere like rs components or maplins should be able to get replacement transitors...

then again it might always be something else.

Do you get both channels through the headphone socket? If so the pre-amp is still working fine.

01553 845 945
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
Somewhere like rs components or maplins should be able to get replacement transitors...

Or www.cpc.co.uk  Wink  Wink  Wink
the flower man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know basics but am no expert but i would have a go at that Very Happy how badly could i brake it?
dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst you could do would be kill the other channel and go to the repair man with your tail between your legs, make sure you get the right part numbers though.

Oh another good trick, if any of the components are black and have smoke on the board around them, they usualy need replacing Wink

01553 845 945
MartQ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio power transistors of that age will probably have "2N3055" printed on the top

Have a look here:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=2n3055

Just a point to note, between the mating sufaces of the transistor and the heatsink, there will be a VERY thin clear plastic film the same shape as the transistor.  Make sure you put it back when replacing the transistors, they sometimes stick to the old transistors and if it's omitted, you'll just blow the new transistors.

Good luck.
wv6z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartQ wrote:
Audio power transistors of that age will probably have "2N3055" printed on the top

Have a look here:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=2n3055

Just a point to note, between the mating surfaces of the transistor and the heatsink, there will be a VERY thin clear plastic film the same shape as the transistor.  Make sure you put it back when replacing the transistors, they sometimes stick to the old transistors and if it's omitted, you'll just incinerate the new transistors. The plastic film ensures contact between the transistor and it's heat sink for consistent heat dissipation.

Good luck.

Fixed that for ya!  Wink
HF VHF/UHF Amateur Radio
XM Satellite Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: