All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Isuzu Dmax/Rodeo Starting Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seoirse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:55    Post subject: Isuzu Dmax/Rodeo Starting Problems Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently (4 months ago) bought a 3.0TD Rodeo from a dealer. I have only ever owned cars (petrol) until now, but thoguht I would make the jump as I need something like this for work. however, a few little issues have begun, to begin with, I hope not too serious (windows rolling down occasionaly) etc. On a serious not. however, in the last few weeks as it got a little colder, I found the dmax/rodeo hard to start in the morning, follwed by some grey smoke. Didn't think much of it.

Fitted a new DVD player with motorised screen, and twenty minutes later the battery was drained. We replaced the battery. Things seem ok, but it was still a little hard to start today -  two days after fitting the new battery and the DVD player is not yet connected back. I'm wondering if this is the injectors and should I contact the dealer?

Someone mentioned that I should replace the glowplugs, but looking at the engine, myself and father in law (with experience with cars) have found that there are a number of obstacles in the way before we can get to the glow plugs. I doubt they have been replaced. The car is 2 years old with 60K miles on the clock. No motorfactors can tell us the type of glow plugs needed and I cant find any service manuals for this vehicle anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions for
1 - Type of glow plugs
2 - instructions for fitting them and
3 - most importantly, why the rodeo wont start on cold mornings?
4 - on a lesser note, what could I do to fix window issue.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought that glow plugs would be the place to start.  I think the 3.0L in the pickups is totally different from the Trooper 3.0 being based on the older 2.8 so it doesn't have the same injector issues.  I've changed the glow plugs on my 3.1 trooper and it only took me a couple of hours tops  most of that being removing and refitting the intercooling and assorted pipework.  It certainly wasn't really any harder than changing a set of spark plugs.  I'd also get the alternator output checked to make sure it's charging the battery.  The dvd/screen installation should be checked to make sure it's not draining the battery when off.

As to the window problem I'd start with checking the wiring in the door to make sure it's not chafed anywhere and shorting out so rolling the wiondows down.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
siweb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go and buy any new plugs just take them out and cross them on the battery and see if they look to glow ok, also check that the wire is live to the start of the plugs with a tester or a bulb if one's lying around.
they may even be a glow plug fuse worth checking.

Did the dealer give you any warranty with the car?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll attempt that... just looks like it'll be a little difficult to do...

There's a six month warranty, so I have two months warranty left.
siweb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoirse wrote:
There's a six month warranty, so I have two months warranty left.

sorted then Wink let us know what it turned out to be plz Smile As a starting point for others to check.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its under warranty why not take it back to the dealers?
Diesel Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Beesley wrote:
If its under warranty why not take it back to the dealers?

Exactly  Laughing
(It might sound a bit obvious but seeing that its his first diesel, I wonder if he`s giving the plugs a chance to heat  before cranking ?)
Diesel Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you`ve had the problem sorted by now seoirse, what was the trouble ?  Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: