All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What underbody protection....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:08    Post subject: What underbody protection.... Reply with quote

should there be on a 92 LWB Trooper? By that I mean in terms of sump guards, bash plates etc. It looks like there is something missing that was fixed to the engine crossmember. There is a metal shield under the gear/transfer box but nothing under the engine/sump and nothing under the fuel tank which looks to be fairly vulnerable from grounding. As I will be using it off road am I missing some bits and pieces?

I started the process of servicing my new buy at the weekend, changed the oil and all filters, greased the ball joints, used up two cans of GUNK cleaning years of accumulated oily mud and grime off the front suspension and underside of the engine. Tightened up a loose downpipe which has quieted the beast down a lot, fabbed up a replacement for the missing rear exhaust hanger (It seems the entire rear chassis from the spring hangers back has been replaced in the past and this missed off) checked the front brake pads for wear. It seems my alloys are Mitsubishi items as it's cast into the back of them, I also need to get some new wheel nuts as there is a weird mixture of correct and wrong-uns on there at the moment.

Still to do:

Fix non-working temp gauge - is this likely to need a new sender?
Fix non working rear heater blower
Get missing middle rubber exhaust hanger from dealer
Grease all propshaft nipples
Change gear and transfer box oils
Check rear axle oil (front was clean and full)
Check rear brakes
Waxoyl inside panels, doors and chassis
Paint new rear crossmember black
Fit front spots and spot at back as reversing light
Fit stereo
Possibly need some new rear shocks
5 new tyres
Sort out some additional internal storage, possibly a box over wheelarch in loadspace to take jump-leads, tow strop, spare oil etc etc.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone........? Someone must be able to have a squint under their vehicle and help me. If I'm missing something I'll see if I can find a used replacement.

steveforster9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only tell you whats on my 3.0 so it may be different to yours.

There is a metal bash plate under the front bumper which joins onto a (useless) plastic sump guard. Going back along the vehicle there is then a (pitifully thin) aluminuim plate under the exhaust before you reach the transfer box.

Hope this may be of some use - or at least more use than the protection under my troop Wink

1999 3.0DT LWB
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but sounds different, although from the sound of it even if there is stuff missing it isn't like it's going to give a huge amount of protection anyway! I may have to get the welder out and knock some guards up sometime.

If anyone has an unmolested MK1 example though it would be nice to know what it should look loike.

Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have a fairly substantial plate bolted on to the front crossmember and side of the chassis. I have bounced my Trooper along this plate many times and it is tough. It should also have a skidplate under the gearbox, bolted to the chassis and centre crossmember.

The fuel tank skid plate was a meaty object too, and I also tested that to the limit as I bounced off the rough stuff more than once, again with no ill effect.

Sounds like you need a few skid plates.

Mine also had axle breather pipes coming up the back of the engine, and the air intake went all the way around the front of the engine with a number of water traps in.
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, sounds like I'm missing the fuel tank plate and the front one although there is a small plate from behind the bumper it doesn't get anywhere near the sump etc. The gearbox one is there. I think the fuel tank one will have gone when the rear of the chassis was replaced. I guess I need to find a breakers with one in. Any idea if they were the same on the SWB and LWB? I'm especially worried about the fuel tank one as it does hang down quite a bit.

My air filter is behind the passenger side headlamp in a big round tin.

CRK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref 3.0 underbody protection.

I have seriously bashed the thin aluminium plate over the gearbox/exhaust a number of times, and it usually ends up making horrible vibrating noises at low revs until taken off and 'corrected' with a big hammer.

Am considering having a more substantial skid plate made up because a new exhuast section (with cat) is £900! The horrible U-bend comes into contact with off-roading obstacles and can either crack (then rust out) or possible damage the manifold fit.

Has anybody made one already, or would they want one if I can get a manufacturer??

CRK
Silver trooper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 18:04    Post subject: What underbody protection Reply with quote

as stated previously it looks as thought you're missing the front and rear bash guards. If you're planning to use the car off road with any degree of enthusiasm you would be best to have the front one at least as it provides some measure of protection for the front diff as well as the front suspension mountings. It comes in 2 parts. The gearbox and fuel tank are also protected. I could probably photograph the guards if you wanted. They are all quite substantial.
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photo's would be great as I'm still not sure entirely which bits I've got and which I haven't. I know I've got the gear box plate but I definitely don't have the fuel tank plate and think I am missing both bits of the engine plate too.

I may end up fabricating a tank guard from scratch but the engine end sounds like it may be more complex.

You can either post them here or email them to me at LippyPayne@AOL.com

Thanks very much!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: