QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

MOT problems, MK1, E reg, 2.8TD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenlaner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 18:36    Post subject: MOT problems, MK1, E reg, 2.8TD Reply with quote

My Mk 1 has failed its MOT on the items below. Can anyone tell me how easy it will be to fix them as I will be paying a garage to do the work, what kind of costs am I looking at with parts and labour?

1 Both Front wheel bearings excessive play.

2 Both lower suspension ball joints excessive play.

3 Poor brake efficency Service and parking brake, tester did say it would probably need rear brake shoes and handbrake will need adjusting. can anyone ever get these dashboard handbrakes to work correctly? Note it has the rear brake shoes as it has had a 2.8TD put into it. t was a 2.3TD.

Also I think it needs a clutch cable, it seems to have stretched, there is quite a bit of play on it, sometimes its hard to put it ino gear, How easy is it to renew the cable?

Cheers

Keith
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 18:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Greenlaner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thers some pics of my troop here

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/7032952

Cheers

Keith
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

About £150 for parts + labour at about 4hrs,
Unless they clean regrease and adjust the bearing, about the same labour but about £90 less for parts.
Dont let them give you all the 4x4 rubbish, the free wheeling hubs take a couple of mins a side to remove  Wink
Clutch cable? mine is fluid
Umbrella handbrakes are a pain, just make sure you adjust the footbrake before the handbrake  Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:19    Post subject: Re: MOT problems, MK1, E reg, 2.8TD Reply with quote

Greenlaner wrote:
My Mk 1 has failed its MOT on the items below. Can anyone tell me how easy it will be to fix them as I will be paying a garage to do the work, what kind of costs am I looking at with parts and labour?

1 Both Front wheel bearings excessive play.

These are adjustable bearings, take off the autohub, the retaining collar and there is an adjuster under that - put a drift in and hammer it round until it wont move, put back together and try again. If that doesn't work, you'll need new bearings - time to do both - 1 hour

2 Both lower suspension ball joints excessive play.

New ball joints - take off the wheel - take out the split pin, undo the castle nut, put a trolley jack about 2" below the lower wish bone, and give the casting around the ball joint a wack with a lump hammer, it will pop out, just bolt new one on. Time to do both - under 1 hour

3 Poor brake efficency Service and parking brake, tester did say it would probably need rear brake shoes and handbrake will need adjusting. can anyone ever get these dashboard handbrakes to work correctly? Note it has the rear brake shoes as it has had a 2.8TD put into it. t was a 2.3TD.

Strip and reassemble rear brakes - if you've never done it before - get a garage to, and ask to watch - then you can do it next time - they are the one thing you DON'T want to fail Wink -- Saying that - I did a LWB frontera with drums this afternoon, adjusted them up in about an hour

Also I think it needs a clutch cable, it seems to have stretched, there is quite a bit of play on it, sometimes its hard to put it ino gear, How easy is it to renew the cable?

are they not a hydrolic clutch? If it is, bleed it. It might be cable, in which case there should be an adjuster by the bell housing, open the bonnet and have a look - it will be at the back of the engine to one side -- I think that they are hydrolic, if so, you'll see 2 resoviors on the bulk head, the big one is for brake fluid, the smaller one is clutch. On the slave cylinder there should be a bleed nipple - 8mm iirc (a bolt with a hole through it)Put a bit of rubber tube on the nipple and feed that into a jar or some sort of container. Put some brake fluid in another clean dry jam jar (about a cup full) take the top off the little resovior and loosed the bleed nipple so fluid just starts to come out, and keep topping back up until you've used the fluid in the jar. Tighten the nipple and that's the clutch gravity bled.  If that doesn't help, the clutch might be on it's way out - have someone have a look at it

Cheers

Keith

Everything above is easy to do at home - people on here will help Wink, but if you've never played with brakes, might be worth getting some help from someone who has -- safety first and all that...

01553 845 945
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Markymoan says, don't adjust from the handbrake - adjust at the rear end first, then just take up the slack with the handbrake adjuster Wink you'll override your brakes if you do it just from the handbrake....

01553 845 945
dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH - cool photos by the way - nice looking truck Wink

01553 845 945
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly where in North Wales ?
I get around a lot  Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i broke a 1988 (e reg) swb 2.8 a couple of years ago and that had a clutch cable, so is ther a change over year or did different models have different set ups Confused
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, from milner  Embarassed

Quote:
Clutch Cable
1986 - 1987
2.3TD
£34.00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, yes it has a clutch cable, its an e reg 1988 I think. It has a 2.8TD in it now but I think it was originally a 2.3TD

K
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to correct section

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked No rust problems with the car? chassis that is Question

It does Looks smart by the way Wink .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the usual bits of slight rust underneath in places but it is in very good nick for its age. I do a lot of greenlaning with it in Wales (and Derbyshire now and again). I give it a steam clean now and again, seems to keep the rust at bay and going through the rivers / fords in Wales washes the underneath Laughing  Laughing

K
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its that damn salt they throw everywhere  Evil or Very Mad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenlaner wrote:
There is the usual bits of slight rust underneath in places but it is in very good nick for its age. I do a lot of greenlaning with it in Wales (and Derbyshire now and again). I give it a steam clean now and again, seems to keep the rust at bay and going through the rivers / fords in Wales washes the underneath Laughing  Laughing

K

next time you're up in Derbyshire you'll have to give a shout, there's always a few of us up for a play in the area  Wink

Twister wrote:
Always thought Troopers look their best in white

LTM 022
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: