All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

another new owner without a clue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 13:51    Post subject: another new owner without a clue Reply with quote

Confused  Confused  Exclamation  hi everyone just bought myself a 2004 3.ol trooper duty.I have been trawling through the site and have already learned quite alot thanks you experts out there.I have checked with Isuzu and all the recalls have been carried out on my motor.The reason for posting is i am having a few problems,it is hard to start in the morning and when it gets going it is a little sluggish this is starting to weaken the battery i havn't noticed any smoke .I have read the site to find where the glow plugs are and i am planning to change them but i am new to this engine a would appreciate any advise for this task.Also i have put some injector cleaner into the tank but i think i should change the filters, is this difficult ?.Any advise greatly appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 13:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you call "hard to start"? I do believe these models are designed to crank a little longer to get oil pressure before firing. It's a kind of safety feature. Presumably you have got the mandatory 5w-30w oil in it? Any other weight of oil will prevent starting properly.

Welcome to ITOCUK by the way.... Smile

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful doing the glow plugs ... they have a habit of snapping in the head  Evil or Very Mad

Are you running on 5w30 grade oil? If not you need to change to 5w30 grade as the 3.0 uses the oil for the injection system... too thick and it causes running/starting problems.
The other problem with the 3.0 is the fuel can drain back to the tank overnight - there is a one-way valve kit (available from Milners) that can be fitted to the fuel line and this will help.
I would look at the oil grade and hard start kit first... usually duff glow plugs give smoke on startup.
hobbs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:thanks alot for the advise. sorry about the slow response.
i am not sure which oil is currently in the car as i have only recently got the car but i will be doing a complete service anyway i think, so i know where i am with it. But i have checked the smoke and there is deffinatly none to speek of,but i think i will change the pluggs anyway.I have allways serviced my own cars but this i think may be a bit risky until i learn a bit more, so are the service guys with the link at the bottom of the site any good or am i best going to an isuzu agent,and no i'm not made of money just have bad luck if the pluggs tend to snap they will with me Embarassed
catchercase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 16:09    Post subject: Re Glow Plugs Reply with quote

hobbs wrote:
:lol:thanks alot for the advise. sorry about the slow response.
i am not sure which oil is currently in the car as i have only recently got the car but i will be doing a complete service anyway i think, so i know where i am with it. But i have checked the smoke and there is deffinatly none to speek of,but i think i will change the pluggs anyway.I have allways serviced my own cars but this i think may be a bit risky until i learn a bit more, so are the service guys with the link at the bottom of the site any good or am i best going to an isuzu agent,and no i'm not made of money just have bad luck if the pluggs tend to snap they will with me Embarassed

Just be carfull when changing the Glow plugs !! I thought it was a easy job the plugs snaped in the cylinder head  & it cost me Near £1000 pounds to put right (still not right Getting new engine from isuzu under waranty) see my tales & wo in the starting issues page catcher case
Good luck
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be really surprised if a 2004 model cars glow plugs needed replacing - so wouldn't touch them until last resort

As Chris said - change your oil to make sure you are running the correct stuff and in the cold press the cold start button on the dash - in this weather it will take a few cranks to start.

also you can test your glow plugs by I believe - turning ignition on util glow plug light goes out, turn off then on again until lit and go out and then crank it - if it starts quickly  this time round could be your plugs - but unless you have high mileage would be surprised if they need doing (but that's just my opionion)

Oh and welcome to the mad house
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would smoke like a bug ger (greyish white) on intial firing if the glow plugs weren't working properly (especially on a frosty morning) - ...  Wink

I'll go with the "change glow plugs as a last resort" camp...  Laughing

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget the "Hard Start Kit" ... basically its a one way valve fitted to the fuel line to stop fuel draining back to the tank overnight. This can cause hard starding! (along with the wrong oil)
Newtroopy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,  just looking in on this topic,  but being new to the "wonders" of the 3.0 lump.
How dose the fuel drain back to the tank, if it is a sealed system.  Dose it not form a vacume?
Mine takes about the time of the Areial to drop down to fire up on a cold morming, 10 / 15 seconds of cranking.
Fine when it is warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: