Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Its a cooling thing...!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 20:42    Post subject: Its a cooling thing...!!! Reply with quote

Hello
I bought a 2000 on X 3.0 TD trooper recently, I bought it to tow with, and it performs very well but I also have this overheating problem, keep it under 55mph and its fine but over 55 or up hills it gets hot and I get the check engine light on. I have seen this problem in the forums but thought I would I would ask a new question to see what the recent opinion is. Extra info is, it has a pair of kenlowe fans on a manual switch so I guess this has been a long term prob for past owner, it still gets hot but running the heater on full helps. it does not use water, no scum in oil or water, runs well and pulls great, have not confirmed if its a 'skinny rad' also part 2 is, if it is a cracked head or leaking head gasket, has anyone used the steel seal product??

Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 20:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use anything which you pour through your engine to seal gaps... bad idea....

Check the rad for rotting away.

Is the thermostat jammed shut?

Does it use any water?

There's a couple of questions for starters Wink

01553 845 945
Jonof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK take a day or so to check but will get back soon, thanks for replying.
John
AD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the extra fan's keep the engine cool when you switch them on?
04, 3.0 citation
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the rad would be the first thing to do they have a habit of furring up inside
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rad on my 98 3.1 had lost the lower 1/4 of its cooling fins and also two big patches in the middle, it overheated on the motorway above 70mph and uphill.  One new rad, a new t-stat and flush and refill with new coolant and its now fine.  Chris Beesley here has the same problems as you with his 3.0L and he seems to be struggling to solve it.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
Chris Beesley here has the same problems as you with his 3.0L and he seems to be struggling to solve it.

Mine has had new rad & stat which improved it a little... but now I have noticed when the enging gets really hot the viscous fan is not working - as a result I would say yours could be linked to the electric conversion or if they are working fine change the radiator.
DAVEHODGE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine never moves above 1/2 way on temp even towing 20 ft box trailer about 3 tonnes ive never heard fan sound as though its locked up only whenyou start it up it sounds for a couple of sec then stops.can you hear yours chris when it gets warm
Jonof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone that has replied, It is sunday night 8pm and have just got back from a 14 hour shift, I will get under the bonnet in the morning and see what I can see. Just so everyone knows, I am smitten with the beast, it is a cracking drive and will crack this (with your help).. Tomorrow...
John
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVEHODGE wrote:
can you hear yours chris when it gets warm

Nope  Rolling Eyes

Anyway... this is Jonof's thread... mine is covered in here   Wink  (dont want to get accused of highjacking Laughing)
Jonof

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, didn,t have a lot of time today but looking in the top of the rad it has just one row of oblong or elongated holes, spoke to a couple of rad companies, one of which said there was no way to get an origianl rad for the 3.0 dohc td but he could remake my rad with a 2 row system that was better that the original for £130 plus vat.

When I took off the rad cap there was a hard deposit around the seal, a little like the scale in the kettle but slightly transparant! Is this what one of you saw in your rad?

When I run the fans it makes a difference but there seems to be a critical point at which the engine decides, enough is enough and sends the temp right up but strangly the other morning 4.30am and minus 6c i was late for work and gunned it for 40 miles and did not get hot, went like a train too!!!

So at the moment I am inclined to put in a double row rad and new TS see how we go..
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the modded type were 2 row and the unmodded ones were 1 row this would make sense with the overheating.
the flower man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thought i would add my 2 pennys worth Very Happy have had the same on my 3.1 and changing the rad and stat sorted it Very Happy mine rusted from the centre or the rad and the presher inside bust a hole in the lower front of the rad.(previous owner didnt flush the cooling system Evil or Very Mad ) the replacement on mine is a single channle costruction on the rad like the one i took out. a dubble one sounds good but is there room? on my 3.1 there ant unless each rad section is narrower which i dont like the sound of coz the standard rads block Shocked mine you, you must have more room with electric fan setup. for what its worth my money is on the rad but change the stat first( £9) ant going to brake the bank. reason i say this is there are members on hear that drive with no fan at all in the winter to save fuel and have no heating problems, not that i would risk it Shocked  Very Happy
lotustower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd change the stat and flush the system on the end of a hose at full whack, both block and rad.  Then see what happens it sounds and acts like the stat is unreliable.
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
i thought the modded type were 2 row and the unmodded ones were 1 row this would make sense with the overheating.

All the aftermarket replacements are still one row...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: