QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

the dreaded k series rover engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the flower man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 0:07    Post subject: the dreaded k series rover engine Reply with quote

hi all. i am about to attempt a top end rebuild on a rover 416 (n reg) . belt tenchener failed and valves have hit pistons we think but wont know untill i open her up. it is my mates car and i tryedd to perswade him not to get it but he went ahead anyway Rolling Eyes done a few topends but never a 16v rover. as it is common for these to do head gaskets at about 60000 (my mates is on 62000) it my lengthern the life enough to sell it Very Happy  as this is common has anyone tackled a head on a k series that can shead light on any horrors that await me?  thanks all
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 0:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that they are interferance engines, so you'll be looking at about 14 new valves no doubt. Your best best is going to be a scrappers and a new head, have it skimmed to be on the safe side and a new gasket when you put it back together...

01553 845 945
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defo agree with you on that one Chris. relacement engine is only about £50 to £90. cheaper then wasting time rebuilding one. Very Happy
rangielover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably the one youll buy is in the scrap because the head gasket has gone anyway
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is they used a modified head gasket in the LR Freelander that largely got over the K series HG failure problem so that may be the way to go in terms of what gasket to use.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the understanding that the k series freelanders had headgaskets as service items now...?

01553 845 945
rangielover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, my mates garage will not warantee a k series headgasket job
the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all that was very helpfull, a service item Shocked your pulling my leg, er..........full service please.        yep that will be a grand Laughing
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flower man wrote:
thanks all that was very helpfull, a service item Shocked your pulling my leg, er..........full service please.        yep that will be a grand Laughing

Fraid not, the engines are THAT bad Very Happy

01553 845 945
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually not a bad little engine, just underdeveloped. The problem being is it's very marginal on it's cooling, and has little tolerance to over heating. The head gaskets and head locating dowels, which were originally plastic have been modified. Lotus used the engine and developed an improved head gasket as did Land Rover. It did have it's problems and as with many things mud sticks. We have had 2 high milers with out any problems, though admittedly some one else did, and because of the scare stories,we picked up decent 98 motor for £50 and that's only because I felt guilty taking it for nothing! Laughing

LTM 24
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: