QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

no power--stalling

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be either the rubber strip on top of the filter (did you smear with diesel or oil before you put it on?) or the rubber 'o' ring on the fuel inlet which goes into the filter. I'd not recommend running without a filter at all, you get any water or dirt in your injectors / pump and you'll know about it Wink

Make sure that the filter is tight when you put it back on also...

01553 845 945
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 16:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

knockknock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

****.took the family down to the park and broke down on the way home, checked the filter which i found to be empty!!
all i could do was tick over,roughly.
phoned my brother to tow us back home.
changed back to the standard filter-got it ticking over-gave the plunger a load of pumps- everything went back to how it should until i did about 3 miles on the carriage way then lost all power and stalled when i had the clutch in.managed to bump start it before i came to a halt and got home by staying light with the throttle.

why would the fuel not get to the filter?  where is the fuel pump located,is it at the tank or the motor?  can i turn the flow up? any ideas? if i disconnect the outlet pipe from the filter housing and crank the engine over should i get fuel coming from the housing outlet?

help

i have not seen a rubber o ring on the inlet! but i did lightly grease the top seal.
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prepared to bet you've got either a leaking fuel line letting air in or as is common with these old motors they've rusted out around the top of the tank. I'd suggest checking all the fuel lines and dropping the tank and checking the top.  Theres three or four bolts either side, disconnect the lines, sender wiring and filler pipe and lower it on a trolley jack.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
knockknock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. if its dry in the morning i`ll be looking at dropping the tank.literally!
i`ve got one of these repair manuals on a cd but am finding it really hard work to use.
do you know if the fuel pump is in the tank?
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

No in tank fuel pump/lift pump just the main engine driven injection pump.  Its a bit of a faff to get at the bolts that hold it in if you've got big paws like mine but not too big of a job.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, its in the injector pump itself, its stange how the problem only started when you changed the filter  Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, beaten to it  Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering if it was the pump or not because while it was ticking over i took the fuel lines off the filter housing and stuck my fingers over the ends of the them to see if i could feel any sucking or blowing....nothing!.
no fuel coming through either!
so if the injector pump is also the fuel pump, i should of felt it sucking through the line to the injector pump?
or not?

markymoan, how did you get such a good pic of your truck on the side of the listings- i`ve tried but it looks *beep* when i decrease the size?
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bending all the rubber pipes feeding the filter, you might see a break in one and it's dragging air in there... still it's dragging air in somewhere....

01553 845 945
knockknock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i`m feeling a little bit stupid but happy at the same time.

my cousin saw my halfords in-line  filter while it was connected and said that the diesel in it did not look right and suggested i emptied the tank.
i did this (in the wind and rain)and found the fuel to be dark and murky/whispy!

now for the "i feel stupid bit".-----i`ve been running 50/50 diesel/cooking oil trouble free for a year now.
a couple of weeks before i changed the filter i changed to proper pump bio-diesel. thinking that the weather was not really that cold i just used it with about 15-20% diesel. Embarassed

i took a sample of what i emptied out of the tank and took it to the bio-diesel maker. he put it on a hot pad to show me how the mirkiness cleared.
the theory behind my problems is that i should have been using more diesel in my mix for this time of year. we had a really cold spell a couple of weeks back that went to minus temperatures for 3-4 days. that coupled with short journeys(only 8 miles to work) where the engine is not getting hot....evidently the intercoolers on these are really efficient which points to why my heater is not that great either!
anyway. because of the cold the fuel has crystalized and is having trouble getting through the filters and will not decrystalize until it gets warm.

i`ve ran around for about 20 miles this morning on normal diesel and its great.
being only 80p(soon to be 85p) litre i want to carry on using the bio diesel..and the man that supplies it has ordered some 12volt fuel filter heaters and wants to use me as a guinea pig and install one on my truck allowing greater % of bio to diesel, maybe 100% for most of the year.nice man.
however. till then i`m using normal diesel.

this is a great forum.i am greatfull for all your help and i think i`ve learnt a bit over the last few days.
hopefully i will not need to ask about this topic again but who knows what will happen when i drive to work later!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed
knockknock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

c`mon then! i know i`m in for some abuse!  lets have it! Very Happy
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying nowt  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: