QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

electric fan conversion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangielover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 15:49    Post subject: electric fan conversion Reply with quote

has anyone got any info on a leccy fan conversion for a 3.1 trooper with aircon?

any mpg gains?

whats the best type to go for or just stick to the likes of kenlowe?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 15:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenlowe way too expensive.
Mpg is improved, power definately improved.

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
K.Goodwin
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'cowman' has done it to his bighorn. not sure if its air con or not though

Twister wrote:
Always thought Troopers look their best in white

LTM 022
lotustower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just starting the conversion on mine, got the fans and measured up.  Should be an easy fit, the expansion tank may be in the way for one of the mounts, but the Mondeo twin fan is an excellent match sizewise for the Isuzu rad.  Next is to measure the top hose size and order the right diameter inline unit, plus 2 way 'rad switch' and LED's to give me the comfort of knowing what the fans are doing.

Once I've finished I'll post all the details costs and suppliers on here.  I've recorded the kpl off the last couple of tanks full and will see what happens.
JLB(UK)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotustower, just as a complete aside, you live in the same village as my folks Smile
(and it's a very small place)
lotustower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too big, but growing too quickly now, drop me a PM with their names and see if I know them.
DJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do heavy towing in the summer months, you may find you will struggle to keep the temp down with electric fans, I have 3 fans fitted, twin fans on the front and a 16" BMW 320d fan on the rear of the rad, they can handle it- just! when I'm up hilling, doesn't help that it's an auto box, when she kicks down the revs raise so does the temp,
before some smart alex says " get your rad flushed" it's a new radiator.
I work my Bighorn fairly hard, but if you are just general motoring as most on here, then going electric shouldn't  be a problem, I'll see if I can find my original post with details of installation and costs ( it was cheap as chips).
I have mine on a thermocouple internal pipe stat, have it set to come on at a lower temp  in summer.

This week I pulled a box with 2 two horses over 150 miles, it's the 1st time I've heard my fans come on this winter.

dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've dual fans on the front of the rad?  as in the front pushing air towards the engine?

Sounds like that's your problem? Your blocking your own airflow?

01553 845 945
lotustower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is used hard, especially in the summer, pulling a big box van trailer with a couple of tons on board, but doesn't have any temp issues on the viscous fan.  Hopefully with the fans pulling, the same as the viscous, the efficiency will be the same or better than the viscous, especially when low revs or stationary.  There will be a 2 stage temp switch so in the winter it won't over cool at the lower end but will extra cool in the summer, hence the 2 LED's to see what happens.  I may also add a time delay to cool the rad at the end of a journey.

I've gone for pulling as pushing fans are far less efficient as they disrupt the airflow and only push at the front of the rad which gets deflected, instead of pulling through the fins.
dxmedia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as another thought - your fans in front aren't sprinning the wrong way are they and trying to suck air through the rad, which is being pushed back by the force of air hitting the front of the truck through driving are they?

01553 845 945
DJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

found it:  http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4871

can't believe I did this two years ago, still running.
Since the above installation:

1, I have fitted two extra fans, see garage!

2,The thermocouple is inserted into the top rad hose, (basically pull the hose off, wrap ptfe tape around the male pipe end place the thermocouple in position then continue wrapping with ptfe around the thermocouple link pipe, this is where the hose will be clamped.

Just use relays and fuses for you individual fans, cut off switch for the control.
fairly large cable for the supply. I also used the large spade fuses and fuse holders that you crimp yourselves.
the temp stats are on RS, Maplin and car parts sites all under £20
Kenlowe upto £40 , inline ones upto £50

Lotus are the inline hose temp units adjustable?
If not, you may find the fans are not going to be that controllable temperature wise.
Like your idea with LED's, sounds professional, but you will know when your fans are running,
1, you'll hear them.
2, you will see the immediate volts drop on your dash volt meter when they start up.

hope this helps you.

rangielover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

what in terms of economy gain would i be likely to see?

what fan, thermocouple etc combination seems to work best on these?
DJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Economy, subjective.
If the electric fan is running most of the time, loading the alternator, then economy would be poor, but as the fan is only occasional, then economy is far better than the viscous unit.

The front fans are not blocking the airflow, they were added to help the rear insufficient fan, if it was the case, then most modern cars on the road today with aircon wouldn't have front and rear fans fitted at same time, would they?
the original viscous fan was cooling all the time the engine is running basically, thats why there are very rarely any cooling problems with the trooper with viscous.
I found with my 1st electric fan when towing, it struggled to keep the temp down, I then fitted the extra fans and lowered the temp thresold and solved the problem.
The front fans push and the rear fans sucks, you can feel the air blow on your legs stood at the drivers door.
so the front fans do not block the airflow the help the air flow, ( when running) ok
you could say the same for spot lights, bull bars etc.

DJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked rotation when fitting and wiring in the fans, good point though.
that would be bit of a *beep* if I got them wrong Laughing

lotustower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rangie, I am using the Mondeo twin fans, as recommended elsewhere as they are efficient and a good fit, the twin inline stat is from Intermotor and different temp ranges are available, so if she's not cooling quick enough I will drop to a lower temp, for starters it will be 88-83 and 92-87, but I can swap it to 84-79/88-83 if needed.

Kenlowe reckon 8% improvement by removing the viscous, sure the extra load on the alternator will add some power drain, but their calculation takes that into account.  I'll know in the next couple of weeks once all the bits are here and I can get it fitted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: