QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

electric fan conversion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my next move so I'm very interested to see how it goes. I even kept my old knackered rad so I can mock it all up off the truck

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 19:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Mick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fit a kenlowe 17" fan last weekend works well and the truck seems to drive a lot smoother and more responsive
lotustower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have fitted the mounting bolts for the Mondeo twin fan unit, measurements to follow when the weather is warmer, very good size wise but a bit of a fiddle drilling for the long bolts.  I'll order the switch controller for next week and update then.

I've had to remove the plastic overflow tank next to the rad.  I assume this is just to keep the liquid in as it is not pressurised, but can anyone confirm that it isn't required and I can just run a pipe down the side of the rad to drop the water underneath.
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the 3.1 is similar to the 3.0 the tank is actually an expansion tank... as the pressure builds up in the rad it can vent any air or excess coolant into the tank then as it cools it will only suck coolant back in. If you remove this you could slowly loose coolant on each journey  Shocked
lotustower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered as the tube goes right to the bottom of the bottle but as there isn't any pressure in it I wondered how it would take anything back in as the rad cap will only open under pressure to release excess pressure/liquid.

I know on more modern vehicles that header tank is separate but it is all under pressure.
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the mondy fan setup a bit wide?  What have you been drilling?

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
lotustower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan housing/shroud is slightly narrower than the 3.1 rad, but it does have mounting lugs that protrude out the side of the shroud so I have but some M8 bolts through the panels at the side of the rad to mount the shroud onto.  Hence the n/s one fouls the rad bottle.  I felt this was the easiest way to mount it as it is heavy and the rad is not fixed to the chassis, only held in place.  I can adjust the spacing between the rad and the shroud so if necessary I can get some rubber to seal the shroud to the rad probably not necessary but 'just in case'.
DJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modify the fan bracket.
Keep the expansion bottle, especially if the fans are inefficient when towing this summer.

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
lotustower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is it an expansion bottle or just an overflow?  My guess is the overflow as it is not pressurised.  That's the bit I don't know and am hoping someone can advise on.
rangielover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

its an overflow and return i wouldnt remove it.
DJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rangie said, the bottle is for overflow, as in summer as the coolant heats up it expands and the excess is dumped in the bottle, Notice the tube in the top, this runs to the bottom of the bottle, to syphon coolant back into the radiator when contraction occurs.
When I say expansion bottle, I don't mean as in a sealed closed system.
Nevertheless, the bottle is there to use, I wouldn't remove it, as mentioned in my earlier post, especailly that you fitting electric fans.
It is your choice m8

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
cowman
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did this mod i used 2 spal universal 10 inch fans  made a a frame to mount them ,they mount the same way as the cowl does in the slots at the bottom of the rad and the brackets at the top ,see garage ,used a kenlowe therm switch which goes under the top hose ,i can ajust the cut in temp wired them through a relay ,if you go off road it is a good idea to mount a on /off switch in the dash ,i get 3 to 5 more miles per gallon depending on how i drive it ,and alot quicker warmup more noticeable in winter .
lotustower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the overflow tank and modded the mounting, still keeping it simple.  I haven't fitted the rad switch yet, just put an manual override in case it over heats but the temp hasn't risen above normal yet!!  But lots of heavy work this weekend so I will watch it carefully.

The engine starts easier, runs quieter and more smoothly and there is more power throughout the range, so I assume the viscous was causing some drag at all temps.  I have just filled up again to see the MPG difference, the last half of the last tank showed promising results.  Cost so far £26 including fans and bolts.
rangielover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just rang kenlowe £160 inc vat and delivery for a 17" fan with all the thermostats, fitting kits etc

What do you reckon, they any good?
lotustower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenlowe is a good product, they used to recommend 2 x 13" fans for the Isuzu though.  Their thermostat solution is not the best as it slides between the top hose and rad to sit in the water and whilst they have used that for many years it would worry me about getting a good seal, and they mount the fan through the fins of the rad with cable ties.

I think the Mondeo solution will be a lot cheaper and it won't be much more difficult to fit than the Kenlowe, only 2 holes to drill by the rad and a 2" right angle bracket and it seems to be firmly mounted.  The X-Switch is a better solution for the temp swith plus you get 2 ranges one for each fan, so you only use both fans and the extra drain on the batt/alt when its needed.

And with a cheaper solution the return will be much quicker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: