2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

electric fan conversion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotustower

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run the electric fan for a couple of weeks and I am getting a good 10% increase in MPG both towing and general driving, still only turning one fan on when the temp rises to half way on the gauge.  Plus the engine is much smoother, starts easier and I don't get any gear hunting from the autobox when towing heavy loads up hills.

I Look forward to the hotter weather and see how much more the fan is needed, I'll probably then get around to fitting the rad switch, relays and LEDs.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 14:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jonkem

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading back through these posts as it bounced back to the top and a couple of bits struck me!

Years ago I fitted a 16" Pacet to a 2.8 Frontera conversion which had that horrible capiliary probe that was supposed to be fitted into the top hose. As the top hose is the feed from the engine, the probe is in the wrong place! It should be measuring the temp as the water comes out of the rad after being cooled which is the recommendation with the new senders.

I have a 17" Kenlowe on my 3.1 MKI with no thermo switch just a manual one. It is rarely used because the engine doesn't get hot enough unless offroad. Over cooling will not help your fuel economy, quite the opposite.

The "expansion" bottle on a 3.1 & 2.8 can be relocated but should stay at about the same height as originally installed. Make sure it is primed correctly if you fit a longer hose. It IS an expansion bottle BTW, just not a pressurised expansion bottle Wink

Anyone thinking of an electric install could do a lot worse than getting their temp sender adaptor & switch from Xeng. www.xeng.co.uk excellent mail order service and excellent quality products Cool Apart from the switch set up, buy a couple of small (12") fans from a scrappy and mount them diagonally one below the top hose and one above the bottom hose. Much cheaper than buying a Kenlowe Cool
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the sender is after the t-stat as stock, and kenlow say the top hose too.

Need to know for sure so I can get the size right.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

jonkem

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modern thinking is that you need to know if the rad is cooling the water enough so it is therefore after the rad. It won't make a massive difference Matt so go for whichever is easiest for you, nice straight piece of hose is a good target Smile
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK see what you mean. Will stick it in the bottom.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would hate to be considered not modern Laughing
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have two sensors one mounted in the rad right at the top set to 100 on and 85 off and an adjustable permanently live one set to 95 on and 88 off i also have twin fans mounted behind the rad i find these pullers work very very well and keep the temp just right
if anyone wants any you can get them off any late frontera 2.2 petrol or 2.2 diesel i run them in parallel and the battery drain isn't too bad
cheers
Steve
lotustower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running since March with the twin fans on a manual switch, and only have to use them when towing.  Under normal driving the ambient has been up to 26 and the temp gauge has moved from 3/8 to 4/8 and no higher, so probably in the UK no need for fan at all, but |i do switch eng off if in traffic.  Fan needed when towing in temps above 18 and normal driving but anything excessive, steep hills and temps above 22 both fans needed to stay cool.  Still getting 10% increase even when towing, rarely have to switch on to chill the aircon down in slow traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: