4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bio Diesel in my year 200 3.0TD Trooper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Is-uzi-9mm

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 20:56    Post subject: Bio Diesel in my year 200 3.0TD Trooper. Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Bio Diesel in a 3.0TD Trooper?.

I have seen Biodiesel locally for 85p/litre { not at a major forecourt } which is @ 16p cheaper than regular diesel.

My trooper is a year 2000 3.0 TD and I was wondering if anyone has used Biodiesel successfully without any major problems.

Has anyone had trouble with their fuel pumps/ filters or other such problems due to using Biodiesel.

Does it affect the power and/or running of the engine?.

What are the recommendations when using Biodiesel in terms of filling up with regular diesel every so often and fuel filter changing periods?.

Thank You
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 20:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure isuzu issued a bullitin about different fuels and the only fuel they say to use is normal diesel because of the injectors, i think there are a few on here though using different fuels
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

personly no dont want to do anything to stop isuzu repairing my car free
anyway its more than derv at mo
markymoan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

All diesel has a % Bio in it anyway, not sure if it 2 or 5  Question
Bio if it is proper Bio is not a problem, its the gits that sell filtered old chip oil without it being converted properly  Wink
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run mine on 50/50 Derv/SVO (rapeseed) quite a lot with no ill effects. To the contrary, I found it ran better on it!

I recently tried 50/50 Derv/SVO but not rapeseed - I think it was corn oil or something. I noticed it was a lot more viscous than rapeseed. It seemed to run OK once hot but cold starting was affected in as much as it took a little longer to fire up, but more worryingly it would kick back against the starter just before it actually started. I can only guess that the extra viscosity of the cold fuel was reducing the atomization at the injector nozzle and the dribbled fuel was firing on the compression stroke. As soon as I replaced it with neat Derv the kicking back stopped and the cold start-up time went back to normal.

I won't attempt to run it on anything but 100% Derv or mixed with 50% rapeseed in future.
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

im running mine on about 65/35 derv/svo, only use rapeseed oil,
starts within 3 seconds in the morning and goes like a train,
using shell ordinary diesel

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
DAVEHODGE

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

have used varying amounts of proper bio in my 3.0.make sure it is real biodiesel well made and sparkling clear looking.there alot of people out there will sell you any old rubbish this is why bio gets a bad name.if buying commercially ask for a sample and put it in a glass bottle and observe for a day or 3.there should be nothing dropping to the bottom of the bottle and should be crystal clear golden colour and similar in viscosity to diesel.isuzu dealers say use no bio at all (they even say red diesel is a no no as it wrecks injectors (allegedly))but so do other manufacturers and like somebody has already said all diesel contains a certain percentage at the pumps.just make sure its good quality and you should be fine.work up from a small percentage to make sure
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

you lot are braver than me!
DAVEHODGE

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

dafter is probably more true! if  you use good quality stuff what can you see being damaged eithan ive never had one of these in bits (yet) is it the seals in the injectors.alot of people are running common rail engines on bio without issue after eing told it wil wreck their engine.like i said my dealership said red diesel will wreck  a 3.o cant see it myself.ive done 50 k in mine in 3 years alot of towing in fact it tows a 20 ft exhibition unit twice a week probably about 3.5 tonnes (officer) and a bit.only thing gone wrong is clutch at 90 k and the old rail sensor when i first got it.touch wood its been superb.the injectors were messed up 1 st time round but ok since
sbhep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:42    Post subject: running troopers on bio Reply with quote

Hi I run a 3.1 trooper and 3.0 on 100% bio diesel no mixing

Its the proper stuff made from virgin oil to EN 1424 spec ( numbers may be wrong )

Ive done about 3,000 miles in the 3.1 and 8,000 miles in 3.0

No ill effects ( as far as I know )

No starting problems

and both cars once the engines warm run very clean no smoke

I did have to do a couple of fuel filter changes every 500 miles when i first started on it, as it cleans all the fuel lines and the tank out

I have a good contact and the fuel costs me 65p a litre so i have saved a fortune

I would say the only downside the dam smell of the exhaust like burnt food

Of course i only do all this for the good of the environment..........nothing to do with money !!!!

I will let you all know if either car blows up

cheers
rairb1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve been running my 96 plate Jap imported Trooper (3.1td) on 100% bio, since April, the proper stuff processor made not just filtered veggie oil. Only had to change the fuel filter. Been running a dream although you do sometimes catch a wiff of cooking food which at worst just makes me hungry. Very little smoke at all, only on start up. Started with 20 litres of bio and 20 litres of dino and ran it like that for a month and then moved on to 100% bio.
I think there is a lot of scaremongering about using bio out there.
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusion is between Bio and veg oil.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm running 30% veg 70% white diesel.  The economy is slightly better, the power just as good, and have noticed no difference in the starting.  It's always been a little slower than i would like, to start, and even having changed the dm flywheel, there is and always has been a clunk just as it fires, so I'm not too worried.  We did 1000 miles to Devon and back in early July, towing the caravan and/or crossing dartmoor.  We averaged 28.7mpg across it.

Currently averaging the cost per litre of my mix in the tank BioDiesel at 92.9 PPL when pump prices are 102.9.

Even having then run pure white diesel for the way home (ran out of veg!) no noticeable difference, except perhaps (may be imagination) not pulling as well as I'd expected, but then I did refuse to drop out of fifth up the long hills... :p

Disco drivers, eat your heart out!
scj103
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

scj103 wrote:
Well, i'm running 30% veg 70% white diesel.  The economy is slightly better, the power just as good, and have noticed no difference in the starting.  It's always been a little slower than i would like, to start, and even having changed the dm flywheel, there is and always has been a clunk just as it fires, so I'm not too worried.  We did 1000 miles to Devon and back in early July, towing the caravan and/or crossing dartmoor.  We averaged 28.7mpg across it.

Currently averaging the cost per litre of my mix in the tank BioDiesel at 92.9 PPL when pump prices are 102.9.

Even having then run pure white diesel for the way home (ran out of veg!) no noticeable difference, except perhaps (may be imagination) not pulling as well as I'd expected, but then I did refuse to drop out of fifth up the long hills... :p

Disco drivers, eat your heart out!

And now having dropped the sump and resealed the oil pickups/strainers, removed the bits of broken cable ties from in them (!!!!!) and reassembled, even at the moment on 12.5% veg oil, starts after 2 seconds cold...sometimes better cold than warm!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: