Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1 td starter burning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glynmarie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:18    Post subject: 3.1 td starter burning Reply with quote

new to the site, so hi and thanks for being there. I have a 96 citation with 176,000 mls and full service history, have been having trouble starting for some time now thought it was glow plugs, left it a bit longer than i should have and then the starter began spinning and not starting the car. Over this cold spell it would not start and the batteries went down a bit, got a mate to jump start  but all that happened was a load of smoke came from the engine bay and smelled of electrics burning. So i disconnected the battery and assumed the starter had burnt out, is this likely? I've looked at the starter and it looks a *beep* to remove. Can anyone help please?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome...

Actually the starter isn't to hard to get out, just a couple of bolts and it'll come out without taking anything else off.

was the starter spinning but not engaging? or did it engage and not manage to turn the engine over?

01553 845 945
glynmarie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 17:30    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, it just looks hard to get at as for the starting it was doing both sometimes spinning then sometimes just clicking and nothing!!!
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs but your mate did connect everything up the right way round didn't he when he jumped it?  That would be a sure fire way to let the magic smoke out of stuff.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
glynmarie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 21:23    Post subject: philp Reply with quote

Good point, as we not sure so if we did could that have caused lasting damage? should i replace the starter.
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did connect the jump leads the wrong way round you may be lucky or you may have knackered all sorts of stuff including the starter, alternator, any electronics like stereo etc etc.  I'd suggest getting a decent fully charged battery in it and see what happens, just be ready to pull the terminal off if anything starts to smioke and keep an extinguisher/hose nearby.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dxmedia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about taking the starter off, and using a set of jump leads, put your foot on it and see if it spins up?  saves endangering any of the vehicle electrics?

01553 845 945
glynmarie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, so sorry for late reply Embarassed my life is mentalllll at mo, anyway i had the starter re-conned and put it back in motor
the laboured starting has gone but it still feels like it not making contact with flywheel. local mechanic thinks possibly ringgear knackered. Is this an expensive job as i dont think i could do it? Smile
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easy to check the ring gear with the starter off, but mega bucks to replace as its a gearbox off job  Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx markymoan, had a feeling it would'nt be great news, back to the drawing board then. Shame cos it a really decent car and i have not the funds to fix  Sad  Confused
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side it could be the recon starter not throwing the cog out fast enough, does it make an awfull grating zing noise when you turn the key ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi marky, have had it confirmed it is a naff starter so will collect a new one tomorrow and fit it and let you know outcome.
Thanks for your help mate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: