All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

inter cooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:23    Post subject: inter cooler Reply with quote

hi all,never taken the intercooler of my bighorn (94) but have heard that when you do clean them out it will shock you as to what you find in side Shocked  question is, how does it come off and im i right in saying that there is 4 location bolts i have got to remove? is it only water that passes through the inter cooler or will i find other hydrolic or oil ect. does it cool air round the turbo as well as water? reason i ask this is there seem to be alot of pipes for the amount of work it should do. sorry for the igrenence but havent taken this bit appart yet.  thanks all
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just cools air as when the turbo squishes it down it gets hot (1st law of thermodynamics or something like that)  Its dead easy to remove, just take off the pipe from the air filter to turbo to get better access, theres a few bolts that hold the cooler on and remove the two fat hoses that go in/out of the cooler and lift off, thats it.  Best bet is to soak it in something like parrafin or diesel overnight, rinse with degreaser and then hot soapy water and then leave to dry (or fire a hot air gun through it!) and refit.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intercooler cools air not water.

The air comes from the turbo through the intercooler into the inlet manifold. They fill up with oil due to it seeping past the seals in the turbo.  2 Jubilees and 4 bolts should have the intercooler off - the one at the drivers side on the back is a little tricky to get to though.

01553 845 945
the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot. i was  under th impreshon that turbos were water cooled by the inter cooler. is this right on some motors? if it cools the air before it goes into the inlet manifold then why is it that people front mount them and grt more performance out of the turbo? does cooler air compess better (at a higher psi)
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooler air is denser (i.e. it carries more oxygen for a given volume) so you can add a touch more fuel and get a bigger bang for your buck.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely that what i thought. thanks alot that makes sence Very Happy
jonkem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flower man wrote:
thanks alot. i was  under th impreshon that turbos were water cooled by the inter cooler. is this right on some motors? if it cools the air before it goes into the inlet manifold then why is it that people front mount them and grt more performance out of the turbo? does cooler air compess better (at a higher psi)

Your turbo bearings are probably water cooled to stop them cooking, hence all the pipes. Some performance cars have charge coolers that use water but Isuzu haven't done it yet Wink
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
the flower man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you front mount the intercooler would you get more lag or is there a non return valve between the turbo and the inlet manifold? im asking this coz there is much more pipe work involved shorly and that would all have to be pressorised?
jonkem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the pipes between the turbo and inlet will be pressurised by the turbo. The extra lag is minimal compared to the benefit of front mounting. You don't need any kind of non return valve as the turbo is always spinning while the engine is running.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the tractor at work, the inter cooler is in front of the aircon,oil and water radiators and if you put your hand on the 1 side of the intercooler where the pipe comes in from the air filter and your hand on the other side where it goes to the inlet manifold, you can realy feel how much difference it makes, hot inlet, cold outlet, (still doesnt make a difference in power cos the tractor is sh it  Rolling Eyes and cant tweek the pump)

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
the flower man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

took off and cleaned the intercooler today. i think some one had beaten me to it as it just had a smering of oil in the inside. held it up to the light and you can easy see through all the channles Very Happy . on the end of the intercooler on the turbo side the is a vacume operated valve that opens a flap inside the housing that bolts to the intercooler and there is another pipe to a niple lower down. is this anything to do with the egr valve and the boost control? both pipes had splits in the end off them so i cut them down and put them in hot water so i could get them back on.this has impoved things. i have more boost and less turbo noise which is well go but i would like to understand what i have fixed if you could Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: