2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Uneven Front Tyre Wear

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 13:00    Post subject: Uneven Front Tyre Wear Reply with quote

Folks,

My 3.1 has just passed the MOT (aahhh...!), but with an advisory on the front tyre.

It's down to 1.5mm on the inner edge of the O/S/F, but has 10+ across the rest. Enough to trap a small mammal, in fact.

The outer edge of the N/S/F has some significant "rounding" as well, but not as bad as the inner edge of the other one.

It looks like a classic tracking problem, but my local tyre independent (Derek Campbell in Yarm) has checked it and says that it's spot on.

He says that body roll can be a contributory factor, camber, and the fact that we go clockwise around roundabouts. I seem to recall that this is true of the Citroen Xantia as well..

Now, if this was some typical tyre place, I would seriously doubt their explanations, but I've been using them for around fifteen years, and they about as far away from a fast fit outfit as you can get.

Has anyone else had a similar expereince? I seem to recall a recent posting on this.

Cheers

Rob
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 13:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

steveforster9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed on my troop that the front tyres wear the shoulders significantly more than the rears. I assume that this is to do with the suspension geometry. I have not noticed any difference one side to the other though Confused

1999 3.0DT LWB
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me, I have tyre wear in exactly the same places on my MK 1 LWB. Inner edge of O/S/F outer edge of N/S/F. I too have had the tracking checked and it too was spot on. I've recently changed all four shocks for new gas adjustables as the old ones had seen better days as was obvious from the porpoising over speed ramps, it has had both bottom ball joints replaced at some point in it's recent past which may be a possible cause of the camber settings being out on each wheel (thanks Markyboy) and it pulls to the left so much that you do have to hold it with the wheel turned when going straight ahead. It is going in for a full 4 wheel alignment check as soon as I can book it in and hopefully they will be able to sort it out before I go scudding off down through France with it stuffed full of tools and building materials next month, and before I lash out on five new tyres.

I'll let you know how mine makes out after the test.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
rg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Philp,

No pulling with mine, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your kind offer of reporting back.

Tyres are BFG semi-knobblies with 60k+ on them.

rg
jon willy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RG
I mentioned in another thread that I prefer on a regular basis to change front to rear well before its painfully obvious, another alternative is to have the tyre turned on the rim providing all the steering geometry checks out OK.

Regards Jon.
rg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

On reflection, the alloys are a bit scabby, and the fronts have run under-inflated for long periods. Maybe that's it, but it sure does look like tracking...

rg
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that did the alignment check on mine did say that a certain amount of this wear is usual on a big heavy car like a Trooper as they tend to understeer a little and scrub the tyres around roundabouts etc. Running underinflated won't have helped. Mine came out with a clean bil of health apart from the left front camber being a fraction (0.07) over what it should be but it pulls and handles like *beep* atm. I think new tyres will sort most of my problems out though (if I can ever find any decent ones I can afford and get hold of!).

Good luck with yours anyway.

Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2.8 was run on a set of 31 10.5x15 remoulds and handled well. Are you sure your rear springs are OK, and your shockers/bushes/ball joints have no wear in them? Or even that there is no flexing of a bit of rotten chassis?
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've had it I've replaced all four shocks with new gas shocks from Milners. the bottom ball joints have been replaced by the previous owner, the tops seem to be OK, all have had a good shot of grease. There is no play in any bushes that I can feel. The rear half of the chassis has been replaced from the front spring hangers back but seems to be straight otherwise it would have shown up on the 4 wheel alignment check.

The characteristics of the pulling do seem to have changed when I swopped the tyres diagonally front to rear, as you can now feel the rear stepping out to the right when you boot it as opposed to the steering just pulling to the left before so I'm pretty sure it's just the tyres. They are near enough to illegal to warrant replacing, at least one is out of balance and IMO they are over-tyred for the Shogun rims. (265 70R 15's) and may well have come off a wrecked vehicle.

If I can ever source a reasonable priced set of All terrains in the next two weeks I should see then.

Philp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray, after much burning up of the phone lines it seems I have found a company in Rochdale that can supply me with five (count em, five!) brand spanking new General Grabber AT2's in the right size this week, after everyone else saying anything up to six weeks. He's going to order them from their supplier today who has six in stock and ring me when they're in. £418 for five 235 75R15 General Grabber AT2's, fitted, balanced, new valves, disposal of old carcasses inclusive of the VATmans 17.5 pounds of flesh!

Steam Hound

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry about this question, but can you confirm because im always getting mixed up with near and offsides. Embarassed

The type wear was on the outside of the foot path wheel and the inside of the drivers wheel ?

thanks steam hound ##
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearside is nearest the kerb/passenger/left side in the UK Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, same as mine, it does seem to be camber conscious in the UK it pulls to the left needing a light pressure to the right and in France it pulls slightly in the other direction, i.e always trying to run down the camber of the road, it's a lot better in the middle lane of the motorway. It still does it albeit somewhat less as it's had new shocks all round, new rear springs and bushes and a full four wheel alignment check. I'm just used o it now and rotate the tyres around the car each service so they wear evenly.

rg

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we are on the subjkect...

My "mature" BFG Trail T/A (front) are just about at the limit and have (est) 5-8mm left.

Last night I hit a patch of water running off a field on a gentle left hander at around 50mph.

The aquaplaning has helped me sign off my own "internal budget" for new fronts....

r
Steam Hound

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

...... and going off the subjct totally.. Shocked .. how do you guys get your pics up, i tried to reduce my pic size, the smallest i can get is 21 what ever the units are.. derr.. >> and the maximun is 4 i beleve any advice plz, done it on a photo shop program but will not go smaller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: