2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0 Auto - the value of Economy Driving

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:03    Post subject: 3.0 Auto - the value of Economy Driving Reply with quote

I have a 3.0 Auto and in order to eke out as many miles as I can from the liquid jewellery I'm pouring in my tank (I used to be on 50% veggie but it costs nearly as much as DERV these days so I won't bother until I find some cheap stuff again) Anyway, I pussy-foot about, avoiding the brake pedal as much as possible, keeping exactly to all the speed limits except only up to a maximum of 60 mph on any road. I'm talking true speeds here - checked on the GPS - so 60 = 66 on the clock. Driving this way gives me 27 mpg for everyday shunting about or 30 mpg on a long run with plenty of steady-speed cruising (I have cruise control, too).

The day before yesterday I had to go down to Cotswolds for a new Rail Pressure Sensor and I needed to be away by 10.00 to get there for 1.30 as agreed. We're having a bathroom re-done and the plumber turned up unexpectedly to fit the shower unit I hadn't bought yet! So, being already 10.00 I shot off to Norwich, completely ignoring my "rules" and was doing nearly 90 on the clock (and discovered I have a wheel out of balance!) and generally driving quite aggressively. I delivered the shower unit home and set off for Oxford an hour late, going cross-country rather than the Motorway loop and still driving like a hotshoe boy-racer (well, almost!). When the job was done I thought to myself "well, I've already bolloxed this tank of fuel" so I went home the same, less economical, stop-start route and with the same driving style.

I'd brimmed it for the trip so yesterday I went and brimmed it again to see just how much down on 30 mpg I'd managed to get it.

29.75 mpg!!

So, all that farting about driving like my hair colour gains me ¼ mpg!!!

I feel a Meldrew Moment coming on............ I DON'T BELIEEEEVE IT!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL,,,,,,,Typical eh...

Right,,in fear of being called a thick t@@@,, can one of you kind gents explain in laymans terms exactly how this calculation works,,fuel used and mileage etc,,,have NEVER been able to work it out,,, Embarassed  Embarassed
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - this is an easy calculation (so long as you have a calculator!

Miles Driven divide by Litres Used divide by 0.22.

So, for example, say you've driven 200 miles and used 35 litres: 200 divide by 35 divide by 0.22 equals 25.97 mpg.

I find "two twos" a useful number to remember for imperial - metric conversions because 1 kilo is 2.2 pounds and 1 litre is 0.22 of a gallon.

Last edited by Topvaux on Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:08; edited 1 time in total
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellant sir,,TYVM.....

May be easy but I did tell u i am thick,,,,,lol

Cheers again,,will be very interesting to see what mines running at with the big tyres and a throttle body needing replacing,,,
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup
Brim the tank, reset the trip then use the car,  fill up again to the brim, jot down how many litres and multiply Divide by 4.56 to get gallons.
take valium then Get the milage from the trip and divide by gallons used = MPG  Smile

Last edited by markymoan on Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:17; edited 1 time in total
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Yup
Brim the tank, reset the trip then use the car,  fill up again to the brim, jot down how many litres and multiply by 4.56 to get gallons.
take valium then Get the milage from the trip and divide by gallons used = MPG  Smile

Not meaning to score points, Marky, but you need to divide the litres by 4.56 to get to gallons.

I suggest my method is a simpler calculation - it's just three steps on a calculator. Wink
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh but my way you get 100 mpg  Laughing <edited>  Wink

Same 3 steps apart from the conversion, I must be old as I work out the gallons as I pump it then cry  Crying or Very sad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurrasic1412 wrote:
Excellant sir,,TYVM.....

May be easy but I did tell u i am thick,,,,,lol

Cheers again,,will be very interesting to see what mines running at with the big tyres and a throttle body needing replacing,,,

Yes, only small problem is if your tyres are bigger (in diameter and not just width) then your odometer will be under-reading because you'll be travelling further per revolution of the wheel than your odometer "thinks" you are! You speedo will be similarly out.

Having said that, the standard speedo over-reads by 10% and the standard odometer over-reads by 5%!

To get an accurate starting point, either get the exact dimensions of your new tyres and the old ones and do the maths or get hold of a GPS and drive at a dead steady speed and compare readings to check the speedo and measure a distance of at least 10 miles (with no dense overhanging trees) off your odometer and compare with the GPS so you can work out a correction factor to use in the future.

Or, if you're not such an anorak, just read your dials and forget the male bovine excrement!
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those roadside speed displays are pretty good but can cause OCD in getting your speed bang on 30,40 etc  Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not such an anorak mate,,,lol,,,,

AFAIK  my speedo is 2.4 mph out,,,am running 235/85/16,,,,,no idea about the odometer tho,,,thought it would kinda be the same degree out,,,,
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurrasic1412 wrote:
Not such an anorak mate,,,lol,,,,

AFAIK  my speedo is 2.4 mph out,,,am running 235/85/16,,,,,no idea about the odometer tho,,,thought it would kinda be the same degree out,,,,

OK, do you know at what indicated speed it is 2.4 mph out? Because the standard one is 10% over-reading it's unlikely to be 2.4 mph across the board.

And, yes, whatever the percentage deviation the speedo is affected, the odometer will be affected to the same extent.
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 as far as i remember,,,,
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurrasic1412 wrote:
60 as far as i remember,,,,

Oh, OK - so when it was reading 60 were you actually travelling at 62.4 or was it (more likely?) 57.6?

Assuming it was 57.6 then I reckon your speedo is over-reading by about 4% but your odometer will be within a gnat's nadger just about dead accurate.
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,,,when my sat nav reads 60,,im doing slightly over 62,,,can remember reading that with my size tyres,,at 60mph,,i would be doin 62.4 to be precise,,,,,,,
Mork_77
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried driving sensibly it got me an extra 1mpg I think, was not worth it at all and very boring.
I use an online converter to calculate mpg, much easier than trying to use my brain and a calculator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: