4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Email Account Hacked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbw13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:14    Post subject: Email Account Hacked Reply with quote

Well, here's a first for me, and fingers crossed it's the last! That's if the whole situation is over.

At 5:45 this morning, and 5:45 this evening, I apparently sent out more than 25 emails at one time, to some unusual email addresses, none of which I recognise. It would appear my email account has been hacked by some lovely fellow from, the land of the olympics.  Twisted Evil

Had been receiving spam from Chinese sites for a while, and thought nothing of it. Then when my email account started displaying stacks of messages which I had 'apparently' sent, I decided to make sure my email address wasn't publically displayed anywhere.

Turns out, it was on public display somewhere; on an international teachers forum site thingy, which I may have signed up to about 5+ years ago. In where my profile comment used to be, a rather crude link to a known dodgy Chinese site was inserted.

Deleted that account, sent emails off to Hotmail Help, or whatever they're called, changed passwords all around the place, hopefully the problem is over!

My computer is safe, thankfully that wasn't hacked, only my sodding email account.  Rolling Eyes

Anybody else experienced this?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a common spam technique on BB's and Wiki's, also run an anti spyware scan on your PC...

01553 845 945
mbw13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
Yeah, it's a common spam technique on BB's and Wiki's, also run an anti spyware scan on your PC...

Fingers crossed it's all over and done with now! It's 9:13 in the morning, past the 5:45 mark, so I'm hoping it's over.

Cheeers mate - put an AVG Antivirus scan through last night, and absolute zero was found thankfully  Very Happy
THE QUIET ONE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

since getting rid of my microsoft comp i rebuilt 3 APPLE macs since ive been using them havnt had any probs no spam no viruses etc in fact i dont even need a anti virus etc

THANK YOU APPLE

mk1 2.8 ex skippy
mu 3.1 xs turbo
bendy bus
SCUM RUN 2010
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE QUIET ONE wrote:
since getting rid of my microsoft comp i rebuilt 3 APPLE macs since ive been using them havnt had any probs no spam no viruses etc in fact i dont even need a anti virus etc

THANK YOU APPLE

Myth - there's plenty virusus for macs Wink  get some antispyware on there !  Safari is also deemed to be about the most insecure browser avaliable at the moment Sad

01553 845 945
mbw13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

My machine is perfectly secure, and yes it's a PC - home built, not that makes any difference in the scheme of things Wink

Just got an email, yes a real one  Shocked  from Microsoft, apparently they've had many complaints of the same thing.

I spoke too soon  Rolling Eyes  5:45 this morning, same sodding thing. "Postmaster@mail.hotmail.com - Delivery Status Notification: (Failure)" 4 notification messages relating to goodness knows how many eamils apparently sent by me, but this time my account has no record of ever sending them unlike before. And this time, I'm hoping, my contacts haven't been involved. All my contacts are now in a databse file on my 'safe' machine. Getting VERY close to blanking out all my details with hotmail and using my work address, which is a government department address  Very Happy

MAC vs PC - bug*er both of em' - I'm looking at Iyonix PC Shocked   Very Happy
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess you've some spyware and it's filling the header on the mail with your mail address, hence looking like they were sent from your account. If you've a firewall try blocking port 25 and see if that fixes it - If so, it's something on your computer Sad

01553 845 945
Mike_S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that hotmail is a web-based email system, rather than a POP3 system, so when an email is sent from hotmail it requires no involvement from a given PC.

The advantage of web-based systems like hotmail is that you can use your account from any PC, the disadvantage is that you can use your account from any PC - as can anyone else that has come into posession of your username and password.
s
If this was my problem I'd be changing the password on my hotmail account to something really obscure (after ensuring the PC I was doing it from was "clean"), more than once if necessary.
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example email header.

Received: by sphinx (mbox mlande) (with Cubic Circle's cucipop (v1.31 1998/05/13) Wed Aug 20 19:41:38 2003)
X-From_: admin@internet.com Wed Aug 20 19:40:22 2003
Return-Path: <admin@internet.com>
Received: from psmtp.com (exprod5mx37.postini.com [12.158.34.194]) by sphinx.got.net (8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-6.3) with SMTP id for <mary@indefense.com>; Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:40:05 -0700
Message-Id: <200308210240.h7L2e5A0016623@sphinx.got.net>
Received: from source ([69.9.251.177]) by exprod5mx37.postini.com ([12.158.34.245]) with SMTP; Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:40:05 CDT

(read from the bottom up)

If I was to change this so that the <admin@internet.com> was <mbw13@hotmail.com> then if the to: address in the email was incorrect the mbw address will get the non delivered, doesn't mean that your account sent the mail - just that your address has been used.

Doesn't mean your account has been hacked, just that someone who's a spammer has your mail address. As advised though - best check your PC is clean and change the password on your machine.

01553 845 945
mbw13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first batch I had appeared in my "Sent Items" box, even though I hadn't sent them. Tend to use Outlook 2003 for email 95%+ of the time.  

I received a second hoax batch yesterday - this time my address was used as the sender, and not my actual account, if that makes any sense.  Confused They were fake delivery reports sent to me this time, and was encoded with some nasty bug - alarm beels went off about an infected file.  Twisted Evil

Had another email from Microsoft today - amazing!  Shocked  They were very apologetic for the problems, and are working on rectifying the situation - Surprising considering they're offering a service for nothing, and appear to be only too willing to help if something goes wrong.  Wink
mbw13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

All over thankfully. So it turns out the little sod left some kind of address all over the place which Microsoft could trace - nabbed  Very Happy
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result,, nice one  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Computer Bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: