All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Transmission acting up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyday

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 17:59    Post subject: Transmission acting up Reply with quote

Good day,
i have a 1991 isuzu trooper that recently had its transmission rebuilt. Yesterday i notivced that it clunked when i placed it in drive and reverse in addition, I stopped for a stop light and when it turned green i proceeded however my truck had a stuttered movement almost like i was hittinbg the brake on and off then it drove ok..then i accelerated and ot did the same thing...i parked it in the garage and noticed that my tranny fluid was low and looked like it had foam...
any ideas what coould be..could it be that i was loew on tranny fluid?
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 17:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome,
Yeh, it sounds like it was low, have you topped it up ? and what colour was the fluid ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 19:18    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

hello markymoan,
Firstly thank you for the prompt responce
The fluid was very low and it was dark..it appeared to be lighter in color than transmission fluid would usualy be, however, it was hard to tell as it was dark out..if it was lighter what could that indicate?
R
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean transmission fluid is usually a clear red colour, dark dirty looking fluid is generally not a good sign as it often indicates worn/burnt internals.  If its foaming then its definitely low, top it up and check it every day for a while.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did mention foaming, air in the fluid would make it look lighter (like the head on a beer) I would be more worried if it was brown rather than pinky red.
I would top it up to max and see how it goes, hopefully it has not caused any damage  Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 19:52    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you Philip and Markymoan
I only drove aprox half a block when this occured so i hope that it if damage is present its minimal.. ..I was curious if it was light brown in the event my eyes were not working as  well in the dark) what would that indicate?

any suggested brands of trans oil to use?
R
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown fluid would indicate that its burned or very old,
Dont know about brands but I think Dextron 3 is the spec
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dextron 3,4 or 5 can be used they are backward compatable - don't forget the check is with the engine running - on level ground run through all the gears for 20-30 seconds in each gear - select neutral and remove the bung or dip the level
cheers
Steve
the flower man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would change the box oil anyway mate and top up to the required level.
happyday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input
well, after further investigations..i noticed that transmission fluidn had seeped into my rad..obviously i blew the tranny cooler..so after alot of cleaning,flushing (GOD what a mess),buying a new rad,thermostat etc..it intially began to overheat so i flushed it again nad it was ok.
HOWEVER..next concern...my tranny does not work well..and  fluid looks pink..obviously  water went into my tranny oil..I would assume this is why it is not moving or shifting very well..what is the best way to clean out or flush the water from the tranny..would the water cause a transmission to not work well? I am assuming yes as it is what is happening...on a good note..the transmission oil does not smell burnt or look brown..it is pinkish..
so how do i rid myself of the water..and does anyone know the size of the transmission drain plug..it looks to be quite large
R
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drain the fluid then top it up, run for a few mins, then repeat, do this until the fluid you drain is the same as the stuff you put in.
The water most likley emulsified with the fluid causing the shifting problem  Sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:59    Post subject: one more question Reply with quote

Hello and Thank you for all the great pointers

I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out what size the transmission drain plug is..i recently moved and my socket set tipped over and..what a mess.
i called a isuzu dealership and the guy argued that 1991 does not have a drain plug...mine does (in addition to the overflow plug)..doing some research i discovered that some trooper model have them..kinda like the 1996 trooper  with 4L30-E transmission...
does anyone know what size of socket i will need?
How much tranny fluid will it take after I drain it completly?
Thanks again
R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: