2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Spare a pound guv' ?

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moglite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a little confused.....
Is this a forum - or a club ?
For some who go to the events - its a club. But being a southerner, and I've had my fill of cleaning mud from 4x4's - for me its a forum, I might turn up to a camping trip or a social, but not if its a 400 mile round trip.

If Simon wants a couple of quid to off-set web hosting costs for the forum - thats fine by me. Especially if its generated by a markup on stickers etc. Soemone needs to pay - and the forum is a useful service to lots here.

However if its a club, then that IMHO is a different thing. I'm no businessman, but I was on the committee of a regional LR clubs for many years.
As far as I see it, a club should obey at least some of these ideals
  • be non profit making
  • Have some rules and regulations
  • Have a controlling committee
  • Have a constitution
  • Have a club bank account

In my eyes - this is primarily a forum, that happens to organise the odd event, rather than a "proper" club.

I'm not trying to put down Simon's efforts or anyones contributions, but having been on that committee it seems a lot different from this forum which seems to be 99% Simon's deal with a couple of moderators filling the ranks.

I'm gonna leave it there - 'cause I need to flick Simon a PM - but maybe its food for thought.....

Or maybe its the amount of wine I've drunk.

NB - there are no personal digs in this posting !!

Andy

My Isuzu Web Pages 
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rabbitt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

moglite wrote:

However if its a club, then that IMHO is a different thing. I'm no businessman, but I was on the committee of a regional LR clubs for many years.
As far as I see it, a club should obey at least some of these ideals
  • be non profit making
  • Have some rules and regulations
  • Have a controlling committee
  • Have a constitution
  • Have a club bank account

1) its not , the money required is to cover the cost of the server not to go in simons pocket
2-3)meet the staff , there names show in green Smile
4)i think that speaks for itsself
5) there is one !

everyone seems to point the finger at simon for an unreasonable request but you will find there are a number of members (myself being one) that help keep this club and forum running for nothing at all accept time !

If you want to "flick" anyone a message feel free to do it to anyone of the staff members as that is what we are here for , it doesnt all have to land on the lap of simon.

atb
jase , aka rabbitt
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No confusion, just read the top of the page  Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Rabbitt - or may I call you Jase  Razz

Please re-read my post - it was meant to be constructive.

I fully understand - non profit - it does not mean you cannot generate money to cover your operating costs.

I'm not pointing the finger at Simon. I tried very hard to make that clear - his classified ads suck - but this is not my or any one elses personal crusade to batter him down.

I'll put it another way.......

Simon - "Buy a pair of 25p stickers for a fiver - it will help with the running costs of this website"
Moglite - "You got it"

Simon "£25 lifetime membership for the Club"
MogLite - "eerrrr - what for ?  3rd Party Liability insurance for an event I'm not likely to attend - no Thanks, but I'll have a couple of stickers for my toolbox"

I'm more than happy for Simon to share his PM's from me amongst his moderating team, that cool. But I am sometimes wary of what I post on a public forum. Police and lawyers and all kinds of strange people read them when the needs arise.

Andy

My Isuzu Web Pages 
moglite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh - just tried to get a couple of Yellow Diamonds - and the Protx website that takes the money *beep* out after taking my name and address

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow - the internet experience here tonight does seem a little flakey - so its probably me.

Andy

My Isuzu Web Pages 
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same happend to me yesterday, retried and it was fine Very Happy
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Bigcolbee
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

moglite wrote:
I'll put it another way.......

Simon - "Buy a pair of 25p stickers for a fiver - it will help with the running costs of this website"
Moglite - "You got it"

Simon "£25 lifetime membership for the Club"
MogLite - "eerrrr - what for ?  3rd Party Liability insurance for an event I'm not likely to attend - no Thanks, but I'll have a couple of stickers for my toolbox"

Moglite, Club stickers and LTM is a voluntary thing is it not? Simon has explained it several times in several ways, he cannot afford to keep the club(s) going, simple as. If Simon had the money I have no doubts he would have been carrying on as normal & being out of pocket without saying anything. Simon has asked if anyone who feels so inclined and a bob or two better off wouldn't mind dipping their hand in their pocket & chucking a few spare coppers his way to help cover his costs.

As for the club & non profit making, I am a Scout Leader, we have a few thousand pounds in the kitty at the moment through fundraising, this doesn't mean we are running the group to make a profit, it means that when we get to the stage where a tent needs replacing, or we need new equipment etc, we have the money there, we don't want to be in a position where we turn to the lads & say 'sorry, we can't go camping, because we don't have the money to replace that knackered tent'. As far as I can see Simon hasn't asked for cash so he can make a buck or two, he asked with a bit of help so we don't lose our forum/club, if he doesn't get that help, he may have to close ITOC down.

The insurance is set up, (as I see it), so that when members have a get together, they don't need to start trying to find extra PLI for the activities etc, if you don't want to go to an event, that is your call. As for being a Southerner, you have my sympathies, but that isn't really Simons fault. If you are suggesting you can't go on events because they are all organised 'oop north' then that is an argument I feel should be taken elsewhere, again, it isn't Simons fault that a few people from above the Watford Gap aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and organise a meet.

The next part isn't directed at Moglite, more a general observation

I can't see where the problems are coming from:
Simon has not demanded money off anyone
When donations have been mentioned it has been ITOC members that have made suggestions
Nobody is being forced to donate
Why is it that people can get together well enough (most of the time) until someone mentions money?

Alright brain, you don't like me and i don't like you, so let's just do this thing and I'll go back to killing you with beer

:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting point is the one that Moglite and others have raised about being highly unlikely to attend an event.

A few members have mentioned the tent and stuff like that, that sort of thing only benefits a very small group, so the majority of folks wont really see the incentive.

I think we need to concentrate on the fact the the server needs up keeping and that is to everyones benefit.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

itocuk
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy's post is well intentioned, and makes a lot of sense but, as I tried to make clear in the original post ...

itocuk wrote:
I sincerely hope that this post is taken in the spirit it's intended ... It's just a request to help me to keep the Clubs running ... not to open a whole can of worms about committees, club constitutions, balance sheets etc etc.

In the first instance - I'm just looking for ideas.

If you can spare a quid (or more) - all the better.

Thank you.

Simon Confused

Then, of course, there's the question ... is this a club or is it 'just a forum'?

It's a community.  In order to support the community, I need to keep the website(s) running. In order to keep the sites running, I need to fund it.

There are aspects of these communities that become more 'Club like' ...

Club meets, for example.  In the past, we have done stuff as a community for charity.  The inter/intra community support is outstanding.  In fact - I'm sure that more 'Clubs' would in fact work better if they were run more like a community and less like a business.

So ... getting back on track ...

itocuk wrote:
I sincerely hope that this post is taken in the spirit it's intended ... It's just a request to help me to keep the Clubs running ... not to open a whole can of worms about committees, club constitutions, balance sheets etc etc.

In the first instance - I'm just looking for ideas.

If you can spare a quid (or more) - all the better.

Thank you.

Simon Confused

Great news so far ... just under £400 raised across the Yellow Diamond Clubs in the first 2 days!

This really is very encouraging!

Thank you all!

Simon

notworthy

QuoteSeek - Free to use Insurance quote comparison service.

Google Ads - you know it makes sense Cool
horse mad helen
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to be doing my life time memebership when i get paid at the end of the month its just deciding on which club to become the lifetime member of ITOC or POCUK  Laughing  Laughing

greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have been a member since the end of 2006 - i enjoy the forum and i enjoy the chat - i am a lifetime member and shall renew this every year regardless of the 'lifetime' tag
i don't mind dropping some £'s in the kitty when i attend a meeting
However as a suggestion---
i do think that apart form the lifetime members section maybe those who have paid should have a yellow diamond next to their name on the forum - to show them as supporting members - the US VehiCROSS site does this - if you have paid to support the site your name is green -
---
i don't know what others feel but i like belonging to these exclusive groups and i like to see my name in green or have a symbol next to it etc - just an idea
----
i fully support Simon and agree with helping to fund this site - after all where else would i have so much fun reading about Isuzu's
cheers
Steve
Bigcolbee
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

horse mad helen wrote:
Im going to be doing my life time memebership when i get paid at the end of the month

Ditto

horse mad helen wrote:
its just deciding on which club to become the lifetime member of ITOC or POCUK  Laughing  Laughing

Like there really is a decision to be made Laughing  Laughing

Obviously it will be ITOC Laughing  Laughing

Alright brain, you don't like me and i don't like you, so let's just do this thing and I'll go back to killing you with beer

madmum
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

brave cheque sent
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

and mines in the post tomorrow!!

i like the idea of a yellow diamond next to your name though for paid up members.
K.Goodwin
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
and mines in the post tomorrow!!

i like the idea of a yellow diamond next to your name though for paid up members.

so do I  Cool

Twister wrote:
Always thought Troopers look their best in white

LTM 022
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: