Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Nearly starts then dies 3.0TD 1999

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uitblinker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:13    Post subject: Nearly starts then dies 3.0TD 1999 Reply with quote

This is my first message so please bear with me...

Had my trooper for last 6 months. (Second one now, awsome truck) Started lovely.

After a very wet night the engine fired then died and has to be cranked for 20secs till it finally starts. Once started seems ok. Once warm starts first time.

Have noticed that whilst driving every now and then it seems to feel like I take my foot off excelerator a little and then back on. It seems like a fuel issue.

Used bleed system on top of filter and there doesnt seem to be any air.

Any help would be great. Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to put my neck out and say oil pressure sensor - as that is the symptoms mine had and thats what it ended up being

I am sure Eithan will be along shortly to correct me Smile
uitblinker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, is there any way of testing with a meter etc?
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECU can be fooled by joining two wires together (not sure which) but the 3.0 boffins should be along later with a string of ideas and advice  Smile

Oh and Welcome  Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 13:29    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Many thanksfor your replys so far. This is my first ever forum. Just a note to add to my first post, every time I first try and start if left for a while it does seem to fire as it used to but then the revs just die, but continuous cranking and she starts.
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds more fuel like than the pressure sensor has it got the one way valve fitted to the return line? if so try bypassing the filter housing.
AD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just had the same symptoms with our 2004 3.0l, it was a corroded fuel pipe on top of the tank.

Easy to diagnose, fit some clear piping between the filter and the pipe from the tank then look for bubbles in the fuel Wink
04, 3.0 citation
uitblinker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will check these out tonight and let you know the result. I normally keep at leat 1/4 tank fuel in her but actually ran it down to the yellow light, which after thinking about it was about the time I stated haveing problems. Is there a chance the filter needs changing? It was changed at 55000m but she has now done 68000m. I know the book says approx 50k.  Very Happy
uitblinker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way what a fantastic site. I felt extremly alone till you guy's started to help. Very much appreciated. Wife says thanks too!!
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its allways worth a fuel filter for what they cost  Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may be a stupid question but my fuel filter does not have a water drain on bottom but manual drawings show one! Is the water trap some where else? or do they not need one. thanks
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the 3.0 has one, its just a canister like an oil filter.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no water drain, the filter is a screw-on canister like a little oil filter.

I had a problem much like yours and it turned out to be the little bleed screw on the top of the fuel filter housing needing tightening up a demi-grunt. It was letting in air when the vehicle stood overnight.

As mentioned above, the tanks have a habit of rotting on top and the pick-up pipe can let in air. The clear plastic pipe test mentioned above would nail that one.

It was interesting that you thought it was worse when the tank level was low. Either of the above would be made worse the lower the fuel level in the tank.

If you park facing downhill and that makes it better (and vice-versa) would be another indicator, too.......
uitblinker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered a new air and fuel filter (genuine parts) and will change these asap. Air filter extremly dirty!!! Had a look at top of tank and the metal lines do look fairly rough (poor design!!) I will check the bleed screw, should it have a copper washer as I dont think mine has any thing! Not looking forward to changing fuel filter. After reading other threads i will make sure i fill filter with fuel. Any other advice for an easy replacement? Thanks again for every ones help. Very Happy
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel filter is quite easy if you dismount the assembly off its bracket first (impossible if you don't!). You may or may not need to disconnect the hoses but if you do don't forget to note which one's which otherwise you'll reverse the flow direction!

I'm not sure if there should be a copper washer. I didn't take the screw out - just tightened it. It clearly wouldn't do any harm to have one, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: