4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2.8 Starting query.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 18:26    Post subject: 2.8 Starting query. Reply with quote

Learned members of the board, a question. I've recently bought a 2.8 Frontera, with the idea as using it for a toy. On starting this morning, a pretty chilly one, it failed to respond to the throttle for a while. It starts OK, but for a short time it is really non responsive. Once it does it's fine. Would this be a glow plug thing, or an issue with any cold start device, it just catches and runs, but only just and then it slowly seems catch up to the throttle, any ideas?

LTM 24
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 18:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of white smoke?
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think so, but it was early, I will keep an eye on it tomorrow. Is funny, seems to go OK, but surprised how different power delivery is to the 3.1 Monterey, the 2.8 seems a lot revvier than the 3.1, and a notable turbo cut in. I want to make sure engine is OK, before I chuck any money at tyres or suspension, I've changed oil and filters, and the fuel filter. I just noticed it this morning being a bit colder.

LTM 24
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya again, was the same again, kicked in, no throttle response at all, very flat, cut out, restart, then gradually picks up and responds. No white smoke just slight puff of usual smoke, nothing unusual.

LTM 24
jeffurry77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mr peej
i assume its 2.8td? if so i have exactly the same problem. when i start my engine it takes a while to pick up the revs and i keep the pedal to the floor and ease off when it picks up so as not to thrash it when its cold but i get a load of smoke white/grey, smelling very 'dieselee' but once its warm, its fine clean exhaust.
I have asked all on 'difflock' forums but noone knows, or it could be a lot of things. slightly blowing head gasket, water in pistons hence the white smoke. dont think it that. pump timing. gonna try that, get it timed up see wa appens..
changed my injectors not that. i thought it was some oil getting into the bores from either the valve stems or via turbo, and the smoke was all the oil burning off( only reason i think this, is i used to have in old lister petter generator, and you'd have to 'prime' it before it would start, and the engine behaved very simular) but not sure its that as i use almost no oil???
air in system. fuel falling back into tank..dunno as on the rangie, my fuel tank has no/or blocked up, breather pipe, if i did'nt periodically open the cap to let air in, the vacume would suck fuel back if not running, it just would use pump fuel, run kak, stall, so i had to pump the filter plunger to pump the fuel through(changed fuel cap, stress management, orta fix prob really)
I am at a loss with it. will do timing soon see if that the problem, maybe my pump worn out, had very same problem with a 1.7d izuzu engine in a combo van, v high miles. never failed me once! i love isuzu engines!
doubt ive helped at all just know we share a common ail Wink
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sound like its a glow plug problem, the plugs are supposed to stay on for a short time after starting.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, being a toy and due to the fact I've had a few job issues have not really touched it. It only does it 1st thing, as I said, it starts 1st time put takes a few seconds to respond, I'll have A look sooner or later, it's not smokey though, I think it's an air problem, is fine once it's going.

LTM 24
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

No smoke would indicate air in the system, theres a bleed screw on the injector pump.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
No smoke would indicate air in the system, theres a bleed screw on the injector pump.

Yeah, cheers m8, I've yet to locate that, I'm sure it was ok before I changed filter, though not having had it long I can't remember. Rolling Eyes I want to get into lifting and tyres, once I've cleared the Landy out the garage, and know whether I have a job or not.

LTM 24
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: