2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

This Weekend I 'ave been mostly...Blanking off my EGR Valve!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere on your dash will be a round knob with a choke symbol by it. (little flap thingy) Turning the knob clockwise acts as a hand throttle and winds the revs up a bit, my starting routine is as follows:  Wind a couple of turns on the is knob, glow twice and then start, once the engine smooths out unwind the knob to a good standard idle.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 16:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

tootall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question ive never had to use that method tho phil,

il take a look tho.

the other thing is if i blank the valves off.....the 2 rubber pipes go to a "thing"(no idea what it is or what is does) it has wires to it so surely this is monitered or need for something?  it has 4 pipes in total to it connecting on to 4 green bits.,im guessing its something to do with air or vacum because when i got the 4x4 it was a tad guttless and when i went to check oil etc 1 pipe was off,put this back on and it improved...but also are these meant to be on the green bits in any particular way ?

sorry if this is a little vague i can post photos of the bit i mean,
tootall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

well whatta ya know!  its there phil(always wondered why it was there but never moved or touched it lol

turned it abit this morning glow once,turn the key and shes back to normal.......great result....thanks very much another helpfull tip from this club. Razz
lotustower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just blnk the vacuum pipes off, they operate the EGRs, a self tapping screw is fine.
tootall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotus,not wanting to dwell on this and bore you but............the pipes from egr to the "thing with electrics" does it matter which end i blank off? egr end put screw in pipe?..or screw in green electrics bit?.....wouldnt just takeing he pipes off the egr and disconnecting the electrics do the same thing?

im a tad confused as to "put a screw in the pipes".....in the end obviously but do the pipes then need to go back on?
lotustower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entirely up to you, the aim is to stop the vacuum sucking into the pipes and back through the system.  I found putting a screw in the end of the pipe that was connected to the worked fine.
tootall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I found putting a screw in the end of the pipe that was connected to the worked fine."

connected to the? you keeping me guessing here lotus? lol

im guessing the egr end?

also, after i switch engine off i can hear a hisscomeing from the "electrics end" of the pipe it only seems to be one pipe that hisses though so at i shot in the dark id say that one valve is working and one isnt,but which one is right? the hiss or the no hiss?
Lotusbighorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am confused!
I have 2 bighorns and on one the valves are up and the other they are down,
can anyone tell me which one is correct!??
I can then either swap valves to my good car (stuck up) or blank off,
my good car does seem to run lumpy but does not smoke as much as spare!
please can anyone help!??? Question
Richie
Lotusbighorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 13:12    Post subject: yello what! Reply with quote

I'm afraid that does not answer my question as to weather the valves should be up or down!
lotustower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don' tknow which way orund they should be but if you blank them off it doesn't matter.
whisky_uk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spent this morning making and fitting blanking plates (16guage steel) to replace the gaskets on the EGR (as per great picture posts) on my 1993 3.1TD Bighorn. I've kept the gaskets, just in case I want to reverse the procedure.

I've been running 100% bio for the last 18 months, and my EGR's were nasty and caked in black soot, but after I left them soaking in the parts washer for an hour and cleaned them, when I sucked on the valve pipes they went up and down with no real problem, so I suppose they were working as they should. I'll see how it performs and see if it is better on fuel (used to get 28mpg when I first got it 2 1/2 yrs ago - recently only getting about 22mpg)

To answer the question should they be Up or Down, the spring is there to PUSH the valve DOWN (SHUT) blocking the exhaust gas, and the vacuum will pull the valve UP (OPEN) allowing the exhaust gas to pass back into the engine.

Hope that makes sense.
Lotusbighorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 22:38    Post subject: egr Reply with quote

so does that mean that they should be down?
thanks
bigbigtom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All. I am in the process of rebuilding my 3.1 top end (Head Turbo ETC), as bits of debris jammed the turbo EXHAUST fan, and this thread is of great interest as 5 years ago i had the EGR done by a garage. but i now can't find how they did it, no blanking plate, in EGR, EGR housing, pipe to housing and exhaust to pipe. I put ball-bearings in both vacc hoses and the electrics are working. as i said 5 years no trouble. all i want is some plates (stamped, pressed or cut) that i can buy from a member, for my own peace of mind. as i love/need the Bighorn purring again.
Ju1993
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have blanked the egr valves off as i had loss of performance however as always i did not look here first so i have done as above PLUS blanked the pipe that goes from the exhuast manifold to the inlet mainfold, is this going to do any damage or will it be okay?  Perfomance seems better now though.
Ju1993
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignore the above i have started a new thread as this is very old now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: