QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

cold starting prob 3.0dti

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 13:33    Post subject: cold starting prob 3.0dti Reply with quote

for the 1st time ever in the 2yrs i've had my truck i'm having starting probs especially when left for any lenth of time. the prob is its taking ages to fire up engine turning over loads befor catching,it used to fire up within 1st 2-3 turns...could it be time for new glow plugs as once its been running it fires up straight away  Question  Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 13:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 19:25    Post subject: Slow to start Reply with quote

Sounds like the diesel is running back overnight from the filter area - try pumping the hand primer before you start from cold and get a bit of pressure there then see if you fire up ok .
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

try cleaning that clump of wires by the dipstick
they fill with oil dont ask me why  bit of wd 40 helps  Wink
fletch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above air entering the fuel system use the priming pump to build pressure up then try starting,

If it starts better check all pipes and tighten all conections.
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 3.0l will start without any glowplugs and only cranks for a second or two longer than normal if they do go. they do suffer with the fuel being drained out of the head overnight and to cure it isuzu fit a one way valve in the return line, to see if you need it clamp the return pipe after your last journey and start it the next day, if it starts ok you need the valve if it doesn't then it could still be the filter housing or an oil supply problem to the injectors.
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the injector plug first, mine has been getting to be a pig to start, took nearly 10 seconds this morning, checked the injector plug and it was full of oil again, quick wash out with wd40, came to it tonight at work, been standing for 12 hours in bloody freezing conditions and back to normal starting (3 seconds)

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaned wiring as i've read of this prob befor... there was oil in so flushed it out with wd40 but its still a pigg to start... tried priming fuel pump 1st but loads of presure there still took ages  Confused my mate told me to turn ignition on/off a few times to get more heat into glow plugs as they are on a timer ?? done this and it did start better ???????  Confused  Confused
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove the white wire from the injector plug and see if it starts any easier
fletch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like one or more glow plugs have failed

When it does start is the engine erratic until it is running for a wile {a bit like a miss fire}  then starts all right the rest of the day,
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes....a bit like a miss fire but a couple of bursts on the throttle and its fine  Confused
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does sound like glow plugs to me.
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like it's a fuel problem either with an injector not firing correctly i had one today misses slightly on start up when cold but runs ok when hot, injector control test showed no.4 injector not working properly.
or it could be draining the head of diesel which if you clamp the return pipe overnight will show if you need the one way valve or not.
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 17:43    Post subject: poor starting Reply with quote

Just re-opening this thread if OK, I have a 3.0td '02 that has to crank for too long before starting, cleaned out the red multi-plug, was quiet oily, but doesnt seem to have made a difference, was wondering if anyone knew the part number of this one way valve, and a detailed list of how and where to fit it etc etc........ recently as an aside, may be connected, every now and again, the 'check engine' light just flickers, whilst driving along, vehicle feels no different, and only flickers on for a split second.  Thanks in advance
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 18:06    Post subject: Re: poor starting Reply with quote

Dadzinsky wrote:
Just re-opening this thread if OK, I have a 3.0td '02 that has to crank for too long before starting, cleaned out the red multi-plug, was quiet oily, but doesnt seem to have made a difference, was wondering if anyone knew the part number of this one way valve, and a detailed list of how and where to fit it etc etc........ recently as an aside, may be connected, every now and again, the 'check engine' light just flickers, whilst driving along, vehicle feels no different, and only flickers on for a split second.  Thanks in advance

It should fire up in about 2 or 3 seconds of cranking. It has to make pressure in the ultra-high pressure secondary oil system which it uses to run the fuel system. If you're not using 5W30 engine oil then that's the first thing to put right. It could give you the symptom you describe. The oil pick-up pipe in the sump can crack and let in a little air, so if you overfill with an extra 2 litres of oil that will give you a check on that. If the rail pressure sensor goes wrong you can get the problem but you can check that by removing the white (probably turned yellow with age) wire and its terminal out of the middle of the injectors multiplug you've cleaned (use an opened out split pin as a removal tool) - if it starts better with the wire out then the sensor has gone *beep*, but don't drive it about with the wire out. I can't tell you about the n/r valve I'm afraid because I've never needed one. The flickering Check Engine light is most likely the Throttle Position Sensor but you'll probably be able to drive about for a long while without fixing it - mine's been like it for the last 5,000 miles or more and is no worse!
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 18:15    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

Thanks for that,  looking through the service documentation, it looks like it has 10w 40 in it and has had for quiet a while, so that may be the problem, oil pressure wise, it usually runs at about 95 when cold, and drops down to 85 when running at normal temp,, is that any indication?, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: