QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

cold starting prob 3.0dti

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Re: oil Reply with quote

Dadzinsky wrote:
Thanks for that,  looking through the service documentation, it looks like it has 10w 40 in it and has had for quiet a while, so that may be the problem, oil pressure wise, it usually runs at about 95 when cold, and drops down to 85 when running at normal temp,, is that any indication?, thanks

Change that oil (and BOTH filters) and that will probably have you away!

Your oil pressure gauge shows the lubricating circuit's pressure only. (The fuel injection system's oil pressure is STRATOSPHERIC!) I think mine runs at 85 cold or hot - you're running twice the cold viscosity...........

Let us know if that fixes it.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do mate, thanks for all your help.
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning TopVaux, had the oil and filters changed yesterday for 5w 30, but doesn't seem to have made any difference this morning, is it looking like I need this one way valve?? Thanks
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe.

How long does it actually take to start from cold? Time it off your watch. That'll give us an idea as to the extent of the problem.
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say between 5 and 10 seconds, everyone who hears it comments that it takes ages and ages
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - the reason I ask is that I always used to think mine took that long too, but when I actually timed it with a watch it was actually only 2-3 seconds! Because they do need to build up such a high pressure to operate the injectors it does take quite a while - particularly in the opinion of passing waggleheads!
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just been back out and actually timed it, and took 7 secs
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 seconds isn't good. Was that 1st start of the day or has it run already?

Have you tried clamping off the fuel pipe as suggested above?
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I drive to work, a 40 minute 60mph drive, has then been stood since 7.30., No I havent tried clamping yet, do you know where the pipe is that I clamp?, whats the best thing to clamp it with..... sorry if I sound a bit thick.
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry - you sound a lot brighter than me! hilarious

Three hours after a full temp run and 7 seconds to start definitely isn't good. (The waggleheads are right this time!)

OK - on the nearside of the engine and just behind the engine management computer (the upright aluminium finned thingy) you'll find the fuel filter (screw canister like an oil filter) with a hand priming pump on top. Down the engine side of it there are two rubber pipes and the one that's to the front is (counter-intuitively) the feed from the tank. You might want to remove the heat shield that surrounds it to get better access (2 bolts, 10mm socket with a 4" extension). You can get a hose clamp but maybe you could lay your hands on, say, a little Mole-type wrench? The idea is to clamp it off immediately you stop and unclamp it just before restarting.

Have you tried the white (yellow!?) wire trick yet?
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not yet, I get a bit nervous with things like that, in case I do something wrong, but will give both a go, over the weekend.
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the the return to tank at the back of the head that wants clamping to see if the fuels running back ?
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
I thought it was the the return to tank at the back of the head that wants clamping to see if the fuels running back ?

Oh, crumbs! I did say I'd never had this problem........

Surely, it wouldn't make any difference, would it, because you just need to block the flow in the fuel circuit? Presumably if it does drain back it must be running back through the filter and air would be admitted trough the return pipe? If that's right then it wouldn't matter where you block the flow? If the return pipe is easier to get at then it would be preferable of course.
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah , can be both -  the fuel goes throught the head and back to tank down the return pipe constantly when the engine is running but ! it can siphon the injector fuel gallery through the return pipe since the head is above the tank .Isuzu put a small one way valve here to stop this .
Easy test  - take off the pipe from the tank to the primer pump put your finger on it and pump,if you get suction and it holds it then that bits ok . if it wont hold suction the primer pump is duff and it needs a new one .Also cut off the first 12mm of hose as that can split.

At the back of the head under the inlet manifold and  up above the small oil filter is a small black rubber pipe held on with a thumb clip -  clamp this one after stopping thus keeping fuel in the head round the injectors and see how you go.
Dadzinsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I'll try it over the weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: