4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Maxium boost pressure 3.1 diesel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little trooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:11    Post subject: Maxium boost pressure 3.1 diesel Reply with quote

Hi, I have been Looking around for what people have done regarding turbo boost pressure. Can anyone tell me what stock boost is and what they have increased to ?

I have carried out a few engine mods already by fitting an induction kit ( k&n ) and adjusting fueling.

I have ordered a boost control valve and gauge and am now curious to play with that but would like a starting figure or someones input first.

Thanks in advance Little Trooper
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

i no gary820 has uprated his 3.1....fuel turbo boost and such so in case he doesn't see this and provide some help
it may be worth pm'ing him
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i'd do is fit your boost gauge and check what the boost peaks at and what it holds at, then fit your boost controller so it matches what it was standard, you say fuel is already adjusted so thats a start. Go for a drive and adjust the controller a little bit, tbh you don't wanna go mad with it, few extra psi should do you, remember it's not a high performance engine so don't over adjust the turbo!!! i'm back to a standard turbo at the mo as mine let go on the M1. i'm actually in the process of sorting out a custom built one using the old housing just waiting for some funds. Wanting more boost but low down the revs  Wink
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

or get a 3.0dti with loads of power as standard  iroc  Razz  Laughing
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillbilly col wrote:
or get a 3.0dti with loads of power as standard  iroc  Razz  Laughing

then re mortgage to pay the repair bills  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
little trooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a boost gauge and control valve yesterday....

Went for a run at standard boost which peaked at 1.2 bar (17.4psi)

tuned upto 1.5 bar (21.7psi) and went for another run...

Cant say I noticed a real big diffrence, but it was going well with the first tuning I had done (fuel, induction filter) maybe a touch faster at peak boost which comes at 2300rpm
no smoking and no real lag.

Anyone think these figures are too high ?
AD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you control and adjust the boost pressure? What controll's it on a standard (unmodified) engine?
04, 3.0 citation
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

little trooper wrote:
Fitted a boost gauge and control valve yesterday....

Went for a run at standard boost which peaked at 1.2 bar (17.4psi)

tuned upto 1.5 bar (21.7psi) and went for another run...

Cant say I noticed a real big diffrence, but it was going well with the first tuning I had done (fuel, induction filter) maybe a touch faster at peak boost which comes at 2300rpm
no smoking and no real lag.

Anyone think these figures are too high ?

I'd be real cautious with the boost pressure as the cylinder heads on these are the weak point. Almost anyone who has had a rad go on them for example, has almost always blown the gaskets out of the head before they could shut the motor off. Having siad that, quite a few of us would be interested to know the upper limits of this motor. The later 3.1's 95 onwards) produced over 125hp and used a different turbo and even that 10 bhp or so made quite a lot of difference. One of our members put on a FMIC and boost guage etc and said he couldn't notice much significant difference. But by all means, keep going!

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
little trooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just heard back from Isuzu and they have informed me that standard boost is 11.6psi at 2500rpm.

I am almost double that and think I may have to knock it down a touch as mine is a 95 plate and as stated above these have more power anyway.

I can't see the point in blowing it up as she has only done 69.k genuine miles from new !

Will let you know what happens.
GouldyGTR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think that the intake temp would be the thing you need to reduce, the TMIC's are pants on any car,

maybe larger turbo, better exhaust system (downpipe more than anything) , also just make sure you get enough fuel as going lean means going bang lol

ive been doing tuning on my last few cars and if you try and cut corners it just bites you back in the *beep*!!!

im going to look at better cooling for the TMIC, and look at increasing the boost and fitting a filter on mine

Jim
Blownoiler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine ran 12 pounds of boost when I got it, I wound it up to 19 for a few weeks, then settled back to 12 because it's now summer here and I dont want to overheat the engine on the first 100f day
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there!
Just one question, why spend time and money on a 3.1? There's an old saying that sums up what you are doing......

You Can't Polish a Turd!  hilarious

The 3.1 is a ropey old chugger that has one saving grace: reliability, why ruin the only thing its got going for it!

A standard 3.0 gives 159 bhp and 245 lb torque at 2000 rpm, you will never see anywhere near that, sorry!  Laughing
Blownoiler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
Hello there!
Just one question, why spend time and money on a 3.1? There's an old saying that sums up what you are doing......

You Can't Polish a Turd!  hilarious

The 3.1 is a ropey old chugger that has one saving grace: reliability, why ruin the only thing its got going for it!

A standard 3.0 gives 159 bhp and 245 lb torque at 2000 rpm, you will never see anywhere near that, sorry!  Laughing

The 3.1 goes much better with a few easy mods, if I wanted lots of power I would buy a bmw x5, besides my 3.1 runs on used cooking oil-cost per mile about 2 cents ha!
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll stop winding you lot up  Laughing
Must agree with the veg oil, I miss my old peugeot 405D, used to just pour filtered cooking oil straight in, did it for 2 years then scrapped it due to chassis rust  Crying or Very sad
An X5?.... so you don't drive off road then!  hilarious

Hope its not too hot for you lot in Oz....must be so hard for you!
bigb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

better leaving it be,if you want a motor to constantly be doing stuff to,buy a 3.0....... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: