2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1D Bighorn - Any performance mods?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 23:55    Post subject: 3.1D Bighorn - Any performance mods? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Very exited as I am getting my first Isuzu in the next week or so, I have already a Mercedes G Wagon (Had 3 before too!) and wanted an auto diesel.

I have bought a 3.1D swb Bighorn Imrshmir (or how you spell it) and just wondered if any performance mods are available and if so what are they and how well do they work?
I was thinking of
Air filter
Exhaust
remap of ecu
lower suspension for better road use

Or any other ideas?
This car will be used as a mobile office for me so will be kitted out for road use and will probebly not do too much off road.

Any feedback greatfully received.
Murph
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 23:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

For engine enhancements of the 3.1, we hear good reports about a company called Vanaaken who basically rework the fuel pump and ancilliary gear gaining hp, performance, economy and driveability. The mods cost around £300 and take a couple of hours.

Hope this helps.....

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
murph

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 18:13    Post subject: 3.1D Bighorn - Any performance mods? Reply with quote

Thanks Hard1 I will try them.

Anyone else any ideas please
Murph
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a big front mounted Intercooler? That could liberate a useful amount of extra power and reduce engine temps to boot. I contacted a company called Allisport ( www.allisport.com ) who quoted me £500 to £600 to fit a FMIC to my MK 1 Trooper from scratch including all parts and fitting and opimising the fuel settings etc, reckoned on 20 to 25% extra power all at the lower/middle area of the rev range.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
RS2000CUSTOM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:

Upgrade available: van Aaken Performance Optimisation

Power raised from: 157 Bhp to 196 Bhp
117 KW to 146 KW

Torque raised from: 246 Lbft to 312 Lbft
334 Nm to Nm

The combination of a turbocharger and a Diesel engine gives an ideal combination of power produced at low engine revs, a tremendous amount of torque produced over a wide rev range, world renowned reliability and economy which cannot be beaten. But mass production forces compromises. This often drastically reduces performance. Because of this, van Aaken Developments have developed a technique which radically improves the performance of all makes and models with mechanically controlled Turbo Diesel engines.

This technique will give you:

More Power throughout the rev-range - up to 35% extra

More Torque throughout the rev-range - up to 40% extra

Better Throttle Response and Acceleration Fuel economy is often improved

Why do manufacturers make compromises?
In order to achieve consistent performance and good fuel economy all mass produced Turbo Diesel engines are de-tuned.

What effect does this have?
Many people have told us that they feel they have to drive their vehicle with the accelerator pedal pressed firmly to the floor to achieve satisfactory performance. Comments such as 'the engine has no response below 2500 rpm' and 'the performance tails off far too early in the rev range' are not uncommon. To understand how we get over this, you need to know how Turbo Diesels work.

How do Turbo Diesels work?
A Turbo Diesel engine has two main components - the Diesel fuel pump and the Turbocharger. The Diesel Fuel Pump has two objectives to achieve: First, to supply fuel to the engine when no boost is being produced and, secondly, to give additional fuel when boost is being produced. The pump has two separate systems to do this. When no boost is being produced, the Main Fuel facility supplies fuel in response to accelerator position. The On-boost Fuel facility adds to the main fuel as boost pressure increases. In a Petrol engine, as the throttle butterfly is opened more air is gradually allowed to enter the engine. On full throttle, the air passage into the engine is essentially unrestricted. A Diesel engine has no throttle butterfly and therefore there is no inlet restriction to air and it operates with an excess of air almost all the time. Hence, any boost pressure produced, even at a small accelerator setting - giving a small input of fuel - is transmitted to the engine. As the accelerator setting is increased, the increase in fuel will cause the boost to increase to a level which is only limited by the wastegate actuator setting. Many standard vehicles will never reach the maximum actuator setting because even on full throttle they are not set up to supply enough fuel.

What's wrong with the standard setup?
The main problem with most standard Turbo Diesel engines as supplied from the factory is that the On-boost additional fuel is not added progressively in relation to the boost pressure increasing. Initially, as the boost comes in, the On-boost fuel reaches its maximum level too soon, the air/fuel ratio is often richer than Stoichiometric and black smoke is produced. Later, as boost increases with the On-boost fuel at its highest level, there is insufficient fuel to match the amount of air entering the engine - a lean condition - and the power potentially available is not obtained. Even on a static M.O.T. emissions test, enough boost is produced to bring in the On-boost fuel which is why many engines produce excessively high emissions even when new. And excessive emissions of smoke are often produced when taking up power, accelerating hard and changing gear. How do we overcome the problems? After making bench-mark tests of emissions, boost pressure and performance for your vehicle, we start making adjustments to the Diesel fuel pump. The On-boost fuel is completely re-calibrated to match additional fuel against additional boost. We achieve this using a sophisticated technique - involving both science and creative know-how - that we have developed and refined over many years at van Aaken Developments. In this way, the emission test is not affected by undue amounts of on-boost fuel, allowing us to increase the main fuel and remain emission compliant.

What do you gain?
The Performance Optimisation gives you the best possible power, response and flexibility from your engine - in some cases up to 35% more power and 40% more torque. You will feel the Performance gains from our Optimisation technique as soon as you drive your vehicle away. The torque is increased from idle upwards, even before any boost is produced. This expands the useable rev-range of your engine and brings boost pressure in faster and earlier. Mid-range power and torque increases provide most of what you feel whilst you drive. By correctly matching air/fuel ratios throughout the rev-range, top end power is increased. In short, Power and Torque will now be maintained at their optimum levels throughout the whole rev-range reducing the drama involved with overtaking. Less gear changes will be required due to the larger power band making for a more relaxed drive. The Optimisation also improves fuel atomisation, and hence combustion, and thus can also improve fuel economy. We have many letters from customers telling us of up to 4 mpg better consumption!
jjcymru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you pay someone 300 to use a set of spanners... come on lets get some fuel pump exploded diagrams on here to do it ourselves!!
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm this has been on here before similar tells how jj
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you will get much better results if you get this done by a pro on a rolling road as it is about OPTMISING and you can't tell whether your pump is running at it's optimum settings without some way of measuring engine output. That said, frankly, Van AAken are very expensive and there are other companies out there that are cheaper. I've heard very good things about www.thedervdoctor.co.uk and their basic price for a diesel tuneup is £120.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
jjcymru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

now thats more like it grandad, thanks mate (Y), might be in a hedge by the weekend tho Very Happy
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

would that be because of more power or more xmas spirit
jjcymru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta stay off the beers till the 21st, once school breaks up its sesh-on!
stanners

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am gonna book mine in with the Derv Doctor and report back to the forum - if anyone is interested. He is only 30 miles away or so and I can skive off work for a few hours and go for a coffe or summat...
stanners

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my comments in the engine section under Clean Sweep...

Very impressed with the Derv Doctor...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: