All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

not getting very good coverage (distance)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of the long springers and SWR'd the set up and ended up taking well over 1" off it to get the SWR below 2:1. Because it's a multi-band it's difficult to get it right both at the top and bottom of the frequency range so I settled on optimising for the UK channels. I have sucessfully held a conversation from mobile with a base over 25 miles away in wooded country so I am quite happy. A SWR meter and coax link with PL259's on pre made should not cost a fortune and is a well worth investment. I would not rely on "pretuned" aerials because the results rely on just how good your ground plane is.

Bolt it to the centre of your roof for best results as it will get out very well forwards and rearwards.

Magmounts are OK for short distances and you will get fed up replacing them on lanes etc when they get wiped off - a friends got disodged with such force that it swung down on the end of the wire and smashed through the rear window of his Disco where the kids were sitting... Scary..  Shocked

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rallymarshall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine always seems to work best around the 26.100-26.500 area, when it was on the tractor i could blast people 6-7 mile away like i  was in the same field, dont seem to have much luck on the standard band

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
m0jfk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Mobile Antenna Reply with quote

Sirio mobile antennas are in my view the best you can buy for your car/4x4 look at all the taxis using them for their 27mhz sets, tells yeah something dont it?
m0jfk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05    Post subject: Warning on Pre tuned Reply with quote

You will get in some saying that the antenna is pre-tuned so you make the mistake of thinking you dont need to tune them to your truck...WRONG.

The only antenna you do not have to tune because it is resonant on 27mhz (CB) is the 102" Whip that is a nice cool 8ft.5inch long.

All the other antennas that say they are pre tuned are done/tuned under perfect lab conditions and do not take into account your location or the truck or car your going to be using it on that will and I repeat WILL alter its tuning point.

So dont be fooled by this pre tuned antenna rubbish and think you dont need to do your SWR.

Now with a bit of luck or fluke when you do check maybe it will be OK but dont take it for granted lad's.

If you want to get "out" and "in" with your CB and you want to be sure of the SWR then make sure you get the 102" Whip you will blow the windows out of evey other CB user out there and you will DX like never before because these whips are resonant at 27mhz by design...honnest they are s--t hot but getting one is like trying to find rocking horse manure.

Over here in the UK they do one that is in two parts and they call it the Tank Whip but the proper 102" whip is far better for off roading because you can bend it double and it just springs back so if you are an off roader its perfect.

On road you may have to bend it down and clip it under something so the Police dont give you a hard time but it will reduce the range of your TX nad RX if you try to use it like this.

If the size puts you off but cash is no problem go for the centre loadead antennas like the K40 or Wilson but remember to tune them and dont take their word for it if  they say they are pre-tuned they wont beat the 102" Whip but they will come a close second to it.
cdavie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh this post brings back memories from my CB days! I used to have a little rig in my bedroom many years ago too, running from a 12v car battery. I remember buying this insanely expensive booster thing and a giant arial (fire something it was called?) It was taller than my house!  Laughing
I'm currently looking around for a really good set of handheld cb's now (will grab two so I can let my mate use one too).
Front brakes
Rear brakes
Ceramic heater
The Laird

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are good.  hand held cb

I borrowed one up in Derbyshire worked for me.
m0jfk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 21:28    Post subject: Distance? Reply with quote

They aint brilliant on the best of days CB's but another good reason why you hear more than you can talk to is not because of your Antenna type or even your CB its because most people on the CB or should I say those that are left on CB use Linear Amps to boost signal so unless your running a 200-300 watt linear yourself these people will never hear you even if their signal to you looks like they are on your doorstep...they aint they are at the other end of cities using massive amplifiers on home base systems and they will never hear you in your car using only 4 watts you will need a 3-400 watt linear if you want to talk to these people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: