2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

non starting 3 ltr citation 2002

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidswa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:36    Post subject: non starting 3 ltr citation 2002 Reply with quote

ive recently had the head gasket changed on my trooper but now it wont start! the timing has been checked and is spot on,ive tried a extra 2 litres of oil, ive tried removing the white wire from the injecter loom, ive checked to see if any plugs are loose or dirty and it still refuses to go. it turns over ok and it will fire but it wont run.when the head came off everything was choked up with carbon.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it will fire but not run sounds like system is ok....has it been tried enough so the hp oil is air free,likewise fuel.........give you something to do till the experts arrive... Very Happy
Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the oil rail drain plug out ?  As Robbo posted it needs a fair spin to get the injector oil up to pressure and much pumpy on the hand primer for the fuel .
Was the head off for gasket and  overheating or another reason ?

Also there is sometimes confusion over which timing marks to use - should be crank and camshaft ones only not the one on the lower cambelt/hpop  sprocket as is explained in eithan h's posts
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

..............and if as a result of all that winding over your batteries get a bit run down - DON'T FORGET to disconnect them before recharging them because these ECUs are especially sensitive and will blow at the drop of a hat. (I've been there, so I know it's true! Crying or Very sad )
davidswa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:02    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

the head was removed to get the old glow plugs out as they were seized in.the timing marks were checked with the timing cover removed.when the oil rail was removed the drain plug was removed before the oil rail and injecters were lifted. the engine looked in good condition with no scoring of the bores(80,000 miles)everything has been refitted to the right torque settings.ive tried the bleed screw on the fuel pump and only a small amount of fuel comes out. im thinking of changing the oil as its still the old oil and i think it might have a bit of fuel in it.(from lifting the injecters).all the timing marks were right on all the timing gears and the high pressure oil pump.is the fuel pump driven off the high pressure oil pump and can it be checked?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the bleed screw on the filter? if so and little fuel come out when priming,change fuel filter..
Defo change oil....5/30 FULLY synthetic...
The last bit ie;fuel delivery pump I'll leave to my superiors.. Wink  Wink
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru Eithan has said on previous occasions that the fuel lift pump "never fails", so I think you can discount that.

You could whip the fuel return pipe off the back of the head and see if you're getting any outflow there. If you're not getting fuel flow I'd just check that the fuel pipes are the right way round on the filter/hand primer assembly. I always think they're counter-intuitive in that the supply from the tank goes to the front connection and the feed to the engine comes off the rearmost one.

You say you're not getting much from the bleed screw by the hand primer? That could be the pipes reversed as above, of course, but otherwise you could put a piece of clear pipe between the feed from the tank and the hand primer and check to see if you're getting a load of bubbles. If you are, then you have a leak almost certainly from a corroded pipe on the top of the tank. (No reason why you should limit yourself to just one problem at a time! Rolling Eyes  Wink )
Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I may be  reading this wrong but have you just had the plastic cover for the timing belt off ?
Did you use tiny mark on the back of the crankshaft  pulley  to get  TDC for  #1 piston .

Check  the fuel flow as TV suggests  from the back of the head if its not present put you finger over the inlet to the priming pump and see if its sucking .
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you do have a fuel problem you could always bypass it temporarily so you can at least run the engine (and make yourself feel better) by extending the hose to the lift pump and dunking it into a can of fuel.

Just a thought. Wink
davidswa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 22:09    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

to check the timing ,the timing cover on the engine was removed(aluminium one)how do you extend the fuel line to get it to "drink"from a can, when it runs it seems to get starved of fuel very quickly
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 22:51    Post subject: Re: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

davidswa wrote:
to check the timing ,the timing cover on the engine was removed(aluminium one)how do you extend the fuel line to get it to "drink"from a can, when it runs it seems to get starved of fuel very quickly

You could either take the rubber pipe that goes to the lift pump off the filter housing and, using a piece of something to join it (brake pipe or whatever) attach a length of fuel pipe (or go straight to the lift pump on the engine with your length of fuel pipe) and drop the loose end into a can. BEWARE, though - you must make sure everything is kept surgically clean because there will be no filter and one grain of grit will wreck an injector. If you stand the can on the bench or something then the lift pump won't have too much work to do. I don't know how it would cope sucking it up from floor level.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TV says put a can or jar of fuel with a bit of pipe into the  inlet on the fuel filter ,provided you get it above the filter it will syphon fill the lift pump aftre a few spins of the engine.

Easy way to test the lift pump is take off the pipe that goes to it from the fuel filter put your finger over it and spin the engine if it sucks its ok on that side.if so  replace it then prime up the system  until you get pressure felt on the hand primer . .
Then try undoing the 17mm  dome head nut  where the steel pipe puts fuel into the head a bit and pump the hand pump until fuel comes out  -  then spin the engine and see if fuel come out ,if it does then the lift pump is most likely ok and its a suction problem.
davidswa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 18:30    Post subject: non starting 3 ltr Reply with quote

ive tried syphoning fuel into the pipe but it still refuses to run,it turns over and still initially fires but fails to catch it seems as though something is shutting down i.e imobiliser or something. ive tried both keys just in case one had failed but its the same with both keys,ive checked all the fuses both inside the car and under the bonnet, double checked all the connecters around and on the inlet manifold, ive even been pumping the primer whilst turning the engine.its now flattened the batterys so ive now got to wait
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you've checked that you're getting a flow of fuel out of the return at the back of the head?

You have remembered to disconnect your batteries to recharge them?

Just in case you get tempted - don't resort to Easy Start or anything. It's a quick way to do a lot of damage.
davidswa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 19:54    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

i always remove the batterys from the car ive also changed the engine oil so it will eliminate any fuel that has leaked into the bores when the injecters were removed.i dont use easy start as ive read what it does (its like heroin to your car)ive just started to look through the yellow pages for a mobile diagnostics mechanic but i feel that they wont be able to help so it will mean trailering it in to the dealers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: