All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

non starting 3 ltr citation 2002

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put new O rings in each end of the high pressure oil pipe ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think its an immob fault as the engine wont crank with a faulty one .

I had a 3.0 just like this recently , tried to run ,would fire a bit then die then 0 and it was timing out .
Wirdy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point about the HP pipe o-rings!

Was it a genuine Isuzu head gasket that you fitted?

Is it maybe worth getting the dealer to do a compression test to make sure the new head gasket was seated properly?

I've just done my head gasket again only 7 months after the prev owner had it changed.  The gasket that was fitted was not OE and had distorted as it didn't quite match up with the block pegs and was twisted slightly which caused the bore, oil and water gallery holes to be misaligned.
davidswa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:27    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

the O rings were replaced on the highpressure oil pipe.what would a compression test show up?i dont think it was a original gasket that was fitted but when it was laid on the block everything  looked as if it was in line. when it was reassembled everything was cleaned and checked before being refitted,it did run but the injecters were not seated properly so they were removed and re-torqued and now it refuses to start. i was told of the different gasket thicknesses but dont fully uderstand why they are different thicknesses
Wirdy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:45    Post subject: Re: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

davidswa wrote:
i was told of the different gasket thicknesses but dont fully uderstand why they are different thicknesses

It relates to how much the pistons project from the block face at TDC.

Must admit I didn't bother measuring and just went for the thickest gasket (3 notch).  If my compression is a tiny bit down it doesn't seem to run any worse.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put new copper seals in and do the tight/lose/tight bit as per the manual ?

The gasket should be the same as the one that came out they are notched on the n/s - if it was a genuine one originally.
Wirdy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

When solving a running / starting problem like yours, a compression test is just another useful tool for diagnosis; much like checking you have a spark with a petrol engine.

If you can confirm you have compression then the thing missing must be fuel.  Diesels are very simple....like me  Smile
davidswa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 21:59    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

so if a a 3 notch gasket was originally fitted and it was replaced with a 1 notch would this cause any problem ,are these gaskets only available from the dealers or would a good engine rebuilder have them. im starting to think it will need to be stripped down and start again
Wirdy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it'll cause all manner of problems  Sad  

If you look at my old gasket, it was a two notch and was non-Isuzu (THG Branded) , so they must be available.

If you look closely, you'll also notice from the pictures the crimping due to misalignment that I believe caused all my problems.  I think in the case of head gakets it's 'buy cheap and buy twice'. You feel like *beep* Turpin is behind the parts counter when you pay for the Isuzu gasket but it's worth it in the long run.

davidswa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:09    Post subject: non starting 3 ltr Reply with quote

does anyone know the maximum and minimum compression readings for a 3ltr 4j engine .and also the difference between a 1notch and a 3 notch gasket in thickness
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

441 psi at 200 rpm cranking  is standard  would say anything under 400 psi is suspect

I notch is an A at 1.35 mm  - projection of the piston  0.333 to 0.383
2 notch is a B at  1.40 mm - "       "                           0.383 to 0.433   mm
3 notch is a C at  1.45 mm  -                                     0.433 to 0.483

Piston projection to be 0.333 min to 0.483 max .

If you were running before the head job ok just poor starting I doubt its the gasket eithan has posted a 3 notch will go ok if you are not sure what was in there before.

Myself I would take off the cam cover put on the HP oil pipe and spin it over to see if oil is coming out the ports on the injectors  when they fire - comes out with fair squirt  if they do right across the cam box !
davidswa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 14:25    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

i have had the cam cover off and the high pressure oil pipe connected and oil did squirt out of the injecters.ive tried to start it with the white wire in the injecter loom removed and it still stays the same.ive checked the throttle to see if its operating and everything seems fine. when it did run (with white smoke)obviously it was getting too much fuel would the excess fuel cause any damage to the head or the valves
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the ecu controls the fuel,and unless its doing a "Kryton" it wont be overfueling,thus its fueling correctly...white smoke typical diesel(3.0 or any) incomplete combustion...Interesting in a previous post you said "it did run but the injecters were not seated properly so they were removed and re-torqued and now it refuses to start."
Perhaps there is a link there  Question are the injectors seated properly now or not ,allowing blowby,lowering compression so it only fire and runs when glowplugs are giving heat input....
Just my thoughts till someone who knows what they're on about turns up Laughing
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read white smoke as fuel mist - i.e. fuel that has been injected but hasn't made any attempt to burn, and black smoke partially burned fuel due to excess fuel/shortage of air.

White smoke therefore would make me think no glow in the glow plugs, no compression, valve timing out or something like that.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going timing on this  one .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: