4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

non starting 3 ltr citation 2002

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidswa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 20:07    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

all the gears all lined up i.e the 2 dots on 1 gear and 1 dot on another,all spot on and all the balance gears matched as well.the high pressure oil pump also lined up.the cam shaft was locked and that lined up at the top ,the timing belt was fitted and turned 2 revs to settle the belt.im not sure if their is anything else to check as thats all i could find on the cd. the cranksensor wasnt disturbed during the rebuild ,obviously i had to remove the cam sensor bracket all the vac pipes were checked as well
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 20:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topvaux wrote:
I read white smoke as fuel mist - i.e. fuel that has been injected but hasn't made any attempt to burn, and black smoke partially burned fuel due to excess fuel/shortage of air.

White smoke therefore would make me think no glow in the glow plugs, no compression, valve timing out or something like that.

Should have explained myself better... Embarassed White smoke not gone bang(not enough comp,poor atomisation etc),black smoke gone bang,but as you say too much fuel/not enough air.......incomplete combustion covers both.......... Embarassed
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you check for #1 at TDC ?  just humour me here as I am sure its just a simple thing thats overlooked stopping you running  Wink
davidswa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 20:27    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

i checked no1 tdc from the mark on the crankshaft(little one) with the timing mark on the engine case , when the crankshaft pulley was removed even the keyway was at the top so everything was at 12oclock .is their any kind of tooling which is available to lock all the timing gears and camshaft (like the ford engine) when i checked the timing gears i fitted the timing cover to double check the crankshaft mark an then proceded to check all the other timing marks
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all seems spot on so far . I dont think there is lock up tooling just the bar across the cams at the back of the head and the key on the exhaust cam , did you have the cams out of the cam box ?
davidswa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 20:54    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

i didnt remove the cams from the carrier as i didnt want to disturb the meshing of the cams.ive just been reading about the filter by pass valve and the oil rail pressure valve and how dieseled fuel can cause them to stick does anyone know where the filter bypass valve and the oil pressure control valve are located and can they be checked
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bypass valve is in the filter itself ,the pressure relief valve for the injection oil lower pump is in the block to the right of the filter.

To affect the ropcv the engine must have run a bit  so the diesley oil gets into the valve - did yours do that ? also it would I think ,take a bit more diesel in the oil than would run down from lifting them if you had cracked the inlet pipe off first .I am not the best one on here to say  how long it can run  and how much diesel in the oil before anything gets damaged as I have not worked on that many but eithan has and will pass comment .Soon .

To check it in place needs tech II which can see the injector oil pressure and the % the ropcv is being set to .

You can remove it quite easily to check if the spool is stuck but please ! put a new one in if its the problem cos it will only fail again - that I can say for sure  Wink

Look at the hpop and see a electric connector -  that round bit underneath  is the valve .It may help to take off the ECU ,fuel filter and some of the pipes as well as the metal fuel pipe.take off the 19mm thin nut , the spacer and slide the solenoid off it may be tight but go easy with it as it damages .
Then with  a 1' 1/8" ring spanner or 29mm undo the valve body , remove and clean it off with solvent . take a small screwdriver or allen key and push on the tiny spool inside  the main valve body it should move smoothly back a bit then return on its own .if it wont move or feels rough its scrap and the cause of your problem.
davidswa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 21:12    Post subject: non starting 3ltr Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice  im at work for the next few days so when im off i will give it a go and let you know the outcome
jmgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried tow starting it,after they have been in bits the injectors oil rail takes some priming.I did one a few years ago and had the same prob,isuzu told me just to tow it in 2nd or 3rd gear until it ran.
Also on another incomplete non runner I that I bought  the ecu had been fried,probably with a booster charger.I had a spare ecu and a friend changed the immobilise chip for me.
I had it at K T Greens and the cam sensor had failed.Also the heater plug fuse had blown making it start poorly.
They fit new injectors under the recall then a cam sensor to get it running but it ran very lumpy and clattery with a lot of white smoke due to the injectors damaging the bores.
They fit me a new short engine,head,throttle,cat,injector oil pump all free.Very nice people Very Happy
Hope this is of some use
Wirdy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it ever a good idea to tow start a 4x4 diesel?

I've only ever done this on non-cat petrols when the battery has been so flat that there wasn't enough to power the starter AND a spark.

Just wondering  Confused
jmgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem towing these troopers or any manual diesel really.Isuzu told me they sometimes can't get enough oil pressure to the injectors by just cranking with the starter after a head removal  so you have to give them a good tow until all the air is expelled from the oil rail and injectors and they run smooth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: