4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fitting new starter motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sasquatchofgy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 15:14    Post subject: Fitting new starter motor Reply with quote

Any advice on fitting new starter motor on 3.0 Trooper(1998) please
I've looked at the online manual but this is for right hand drive only, does this make a difference?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 15:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wirdy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't changed one but have been all around it over the last few days - doing my head gasket and fixing various (self-generated) oil leaks.

Only attackable from underneath (unless you have extraordinarily long arms!) and it looks a bit Krypton factor.  Temporarily removing the secondary oil filter might give a little bit more access.

Good luck and let us know how good / bad the job is.  Very Happy
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done from under ! Get it up as high as you can first  and n/s front wheel off . Both batt earths off then the clutch slave cylinder , wires to the solenoid and two nuts and bolts holding it on - oh and take the dipstick tube off from the sump cos it makes it much easier to get out.
sasquatchofgy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to change it with the help of a friend, would be alot more difficult on your own.
Jacked front end up and removed nearside wheel then lowered back down a touch so I could still access from top when stood on a small stool. Disconnected both batteries, disconected wires from starter then undid bottom bolt on starter, this was a bit fiddly but not to difficult as you can get a spanner both sides of bolt. The top bolt is much more tricky, although front side of bolt is accessable from top with a ring spanner you will stuggle to get more than a quarter turn and it will start to spin nut on other end, we found the best way to get to the back nut on the top bolt was with a socket on about three foot long extensions, very tight at first but easily removed after youve cracked it a turn. Once the bolts were removed I managed to pull the starter up through the top without removing any other components but its very tight and you may have to spin a few hose clips out the way and snip a few cable ties. I did pull a vacuum hose off but it easily pushed back on, getting the new motor in was done the same way but the new one from milners offroad seemed a touch longer, but wih me dropping it in from the top and my mate guiding from below it went in quite quickly.
It took us approx hour and a half and a few scrapped knuckles, don't forget to replace cable ties and check any hoses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: