2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Occasional cold start problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 13:33    Post subject: Occasional cold start problem Reply with quote

Hi all, a few weeks ago I noticed that occasionally the Trooper would be a bit of a sod to start from cold about one time in 6.  Just been away in the caravn for a week and 2 out of 6 days it was a sod from cold.  Once started it runs perfectly.

I've checked the servicde receipts and last year it had two glow plugs replaced.  How many are there (I thought 4) and shouldn't they all be replaced at the same time?

I'm assuming that this could be my starting issue but not being that knowledgeable engines may well be barking up the wrong tree.

It's in the dealers tomorrow to have the injectors replaced (recall) so maybe I should ask them to check the plugs whilst they're at it.   Anyone know how much this would cost?

Any advice appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 13:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had no ther running problems? Then I think the first thing to check would be the pick-up pipe for the high pressure oil pump. Easiest way to check it is to overfill the sump by 2 litres and see if that "fixes" it. If it does, have a new pick-up pipe/strainer fitted because yours will be cracked.

While they have it they will have Tech 2 (the dedicated diagnostic tool) connected so get them to check around, with particular reference to the Oil Rail Pressure Sensor, although with no other symptoms it may be a little unlikely that that's faulty I guess. There are plenty of other sensors and things which they could check whilst they are there..... Wink
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other problems whatsoever - would the cracked pipe not cause a more frequent problem?

It also had an oil pressure sensor rail fitted last year so chances of that going faulty in short time are few I guess.

Where does I find the pick up pipe so I can have a visual check?
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not necessarily. I had one crack on me recently - only it was the engine lube pump, not the high pressure pump (which powers the fuel injection system) - and it started off being just once in a blue moon it wouldn't pick up pressure straight away. I guess it depends how big the crack is. Gradually it gets bigger so it sucks more air until it can't pick any up any oil at all.

I didn't think it sounded like the pressure sensor and even less so since you had a new one!

You can't visually check it - you have to drop the sump! But doing the test I explained should at least prove/disprove it.
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit hit and miss to do the test as it is only one in about 6 mornings when it is difficult to start and I guess that running it for a few days to make sure with 2 litres of extra oil isn't advisable?
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran mine about a couple of thousand miles like it until I got round to having it fixed........... Wink  Embarassed

I'd do it and run it at least until you absolutely know for sure  whether you've had a result or not.

Don't over over-fill it, though, because that can be dangerous.
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'll give it a go - so I need to pop 9 litres in after oil change and then drain a couple out once proven.  Thanks for your help!
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just chuck a couple of litres in now - BEFORE you change the oil? Then if it's proven a cracked pick-up you could replace it and do the oil change at the same time because the sump's going to have to come off to do the job so you're going to lose the oil anyway. If it doesn't prove a cracked pick-up then carry on and do the regular oil change and dump the excess oil in the process.

Just a thought.  Wink
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea batman!  

If it is a cracked pipe is it easy to replace or is it off to a dealer?
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about an hour's job for a man accustomed to the spanners and who has a ramp with a lifting beam - you have to drop the crossmember and then the sump pan.
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealer then!  I don't mind using te odd spanner but dropping crossmembers is a bit far for me.

Incidentally, Troops went in for injector replacement today and the new ones were faulty so they're getting some more in for tomorrow and left me with a Nissan Almera - eurggh Crying or Very sad
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

fintius maximus wrote:
Dealer then!  I don't mind using te odd spanner but dropping crossmembers is a bit far for me.

Incidentally, Troops went in for injector replacement today and the new ones were faulty so they're getting some more in for tomorrow and left me with a Nissan Almera - eurggh Crying or Very sad

Howd they know new ones were faulty FM     Question
fintius maximus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cos after they had put them in the exhaust was blowing smoke - don't know the first thing about injectors but I found it unusual that a new set could be faulty?  Owt's possible I guess!
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

fintius maximus wrote:
Cos after they had put them in the exhaust was blowing smoke - don't know the first thing about injectors but I found it unusual that a new set could be faulty?  Owt's possible I guess!

Strange...........What colour smoke FM,white/blue/black.... Question
No conspiracy theories.. Smile  Just interested....Wonder what others will make of this...not seated properly,duff seals,or the unit itself.... Question
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

not seated properly i've not had a faulty new one yet i don't think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: