All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

PAS problem stuck in Germany

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haluk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 17:49    Post subject: PAS problem stuck in Germany Reply with quote

Hi All,
Now I stuck in Germany and need to drive back to London. The problem was the hose leaking PAS fluid. Up to now services can not fix it. Opel service suggests me to drive the car with no PAS. They have removed the two ( or twin ) belts so they say air condition and PAS will not work. It is hard to steer the car but not impossible to drive. What I am wondering is, does it cause (removing the belts) any problem with the car if I drive it from Germany to London?

Thanks,
Haluk
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 17:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Chris01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't cause any problems to the engine, it will be bloody hard work at slow speed though, not like an old non power steered car because the gearing is so high. Good luck.
shaungriff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

will be ok, put some extra air in the front tyres & eat spinach like popeye !!
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an accident and the insurance company finds you have inoperative power steering they will not pay out and you may also get prosecuted for having an un-roadworthy vehicle. IMO opinion it's not worth the risk. Your car was designed to have power steering, driving a P/S equiped car with faulty power steering will make it extremely heavy and you may not be able to manouver in time in an emergency situation. I'd either get it fixed or recovered back to the UK, international AA/RAC cover really is an essential bit of kit if you intend to drive abroad.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
haluk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:04    Post subject: arrived in London Reply with quote

Now, I have finally arrived my home. It was not fun to drive without PAS from Stuttgart to London. I only used motorways that don't require too much steering. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone if he is driving in a city especially with narrow corners. A Good tip would be start early like 3 or 4AM when the streets are not crowded. This is what I did in Stuttgart.

As for the solutions from dealers, mechanics and recovery business; sometimes don't work and not practical. I spent about 2 hours just to go and negotiate with a tractor shop. What he said was, he has the equipment to replace the high presurre hose with the metal ends that I have but he won't as it requires responsibility Mad Than another 2 hours at Opel service, couldn't find the part from dealer and said may be backorder in weeks. Drive to London in 11 hours and including rest in Burgge for a lunch and ferry cross . Less stress 8)
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les stress but very dangerous.

Chris01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil don't be such a wuss, I understand what your saying but sometimes you just have to get on with things, its a risk but one worth taking in my opinion. If we all did it by the book it would be a very boring world, its the same sort of nanny attitude thats currently responsible for certain parties trying to ban 4x4 in London etc..
haluk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger? But who says your steering wheel will always operate accurately while you are driving over 70 miles on a motorway or overtaking another car? I friend of mine lost Power Steering while he was on road, turning a curve than found himself on the field. It was a more dangerous situation I think. He was not prepared for the failure and couldn't react on time. At least I knew the car had a limitation, so I was 10 times more carefull than usual, had low speed and never tried to do the things that I usually do. Moreover, the steering was working but not by hydrolic power.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you made it here OK Haluk....Now, rest those arms! You'll need it for some serious drinking this weekend. Laughing

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris01 wrote:
Phil don't be such a wuss, I understand what your saying but sometimes you just have to get on with things, its a risk but one worth taking in my opinion. If we all did it by the book it would be a very boring world, its the same sort of nanny attitude thats currently responsible for certain parties trying to ban 4x4 in London etc..

How would you feel if a driver knowingly driving a car with defective steering (it is defective as it was never designed to be driven unassisted, a power assisted steering system is far heavier when unassisted than a system designed to be unassisted) was unable to react in time to an emergency situation and crashed into your vehicle, perhaps injuring or even killing a member of your family, you would then also find yourself in court trying to win back uninsured losses as I can guarantee that his insurance company would refuse to pay out on any claim if they found the power steering had been disconnected.

It's not about being a wuss or doing things by the book, driving a short distance to get home is one thing and I have done similar things myself, an 11 hour drive across two countries is another. Having just done a similar journey myself in my Trooper (southern France to Manchester)on Tuesday I know how tiring this is in a fully functioning vehicle. Doing it in one that has a major defect is just plain daft in my book.

Oh and this has sod all to do with people wanting to ban 4x4's in London, that's just ill informed people getting on a secondhand soapbox. This is about having regard for the safety of other road users. I'm just glad it ended up safely and not as a tragedy.

lotustower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

But at least the car it would have been driven with consideration and knowledge of the problem, probably more awareness of what is happening on the road and less likely hood of causing an accident.

As before you can't take responsibility for other peoples irrational actions and lack of awareness on the road, and hence accidents happen.

Very disappointing thast a major motor city like Stuttgart didn't come up with a solution, or be willing to sort it without worrying. They obviously have that culture of 'it's always someone elses fault' and 'I'll make them pay' for my own failings!!

Glad you made it back, and the Troop is OK.
NeilD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not neccesarily true about the insurance company refusing to pay out mind you, it depends a lot on circumstances you could use the excuse an authorised dealer etc etc told you it would be safe and advised it (how were you to know?) Without PAS doesn't really put it in an unroadworthy condition... But I do agree with you Philip it does make it extremely dangerous
Chris01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, sorry if i caused offence, I guess without knowing the haluk it was perhaps bad advice to tell him to go for it. However if he had worried about the possible things that could go wrong he would still be sitting in Stuttgart considerably poorer.
haluk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys! I think everyone has said his concerns. It was a solution (also told by Opel service) and was better than nothing at that time. On the other hand, there are things you don't know about me. A middle-east citizen can't wait in EU another couple of weeks as a new visa should be issued from the embassy. Do you know what would happen if your visa is expired and you haven't left the Schengen border? Probably, you may spend a day with the guys who have big guns 8) Anyway, I am at home but the hose is still broken Sad Another thing is the other end of the hose is jammed. I can't turn it to unscrew. I think I need to remove radiator. Therefore, I asked another question to the list but no answer let me write it here as this subject gets more attention Wink

I need to remove the radiator, I have checked the manual and it says just those simple steps
Preparation: Disconnect battery ground cable, drain coolant
1. Disconnect lower and upper hose
2. Fan guide lower, remove clips on both sides and the bottom lock
3. Reservoir tank hose, disconnect the hose
4. Bracket (I think the top one)
5. Remove upward the radiator assembly taking care not to damage the radiator core by fan blade

Is there anything that I should know? Any special tools or tips and tricks?

Thanks,
Haluk
NeilD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow the guide it should be okay... Trial and error too, god knows I make enough errors Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: