2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

SUBARU BATTERY DRAIN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
the panasonics that subaru use are useless they now use varta ones when you change them under warranty, i've had to change them on brand new cars because they didn't pass the test on the pdi.

to test the draw you do as above just put the meter on amps and disconnect the negative lead put one probe on the battery negative terminal and one on the negative lead, make sure all doors are shut and ignition is off it may chirp at you but it shouldn't go off

DAB.
When I connected meter alarm did go off, and not the little chirp when battery terminal is connected.
Tested new battery overnight:
Voltage drop 0.24v and battery rating is 60Ah, so calculated current draw at around 460mA. Both that and voltage drop seems high to me, and that was Sigma alarm only activated. Important thing is how many days could battery stand that draw and voltage drop before it wouldn't start?
I wondered if the OE alarm does anything that might draw current even if I haven't activated it... eg immobilise engine.
I'll activate the OE one only tonight and repeat the exercise; I'll then try both activated and remeasure.
I can see this being a full time job! Still TV is very ropey at the moment.
Thanks again for all your interest and help. Pity given Eithan's comments thatI didn't haul the car to the dealer within warranty when battery was giving problems. I just put it down to its inactivity, but it was probably a *beep* battery all along.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5.5 days.....That current draw seems high to me,see what the result is on the other alarm/both,then try with no
alarm if still of that order,then you need to put an ammeter in,and start pulling fuses to see wots drawing the current..
dab
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Robbo wrote:
About 5.5 days.....That current draw seems high to me,see what the result is on the other alarm/both,then try with no
alarm if still of that order,then you need to put an ammeter in,and start pulling fuses to see wots drawing the current..

DAB.
Less than a week is hopeless. Will do what you suggest. Thanks again.
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dab ckeck your PM's .... Wink
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

subaru reckon 0.05a is the norm
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:

So....what I suggested to Dab,is not a definative calculation,but gives an indication of current draw,so even with 50% error,and your  input Eithan,that shows a great discrepensy( Embarassed ).....Eithan thats brilliant  Very Happy ,sets the starting gate..

BTW...Did I tell anyone I've had 3 Scoobie Doo Pickups Question (Brilliant Motors thumbleft )

One Red One,
One Blue One,
And One with a Bit Of White On.......... Laughing
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol not the old mv pick up? they were prone for breaking the torsion bars and what a snot of a job if you got it!!
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
lol not the old mv pick up? they were prone for breaking the torsion bars and what a snot of a job if you got it!!

They were bloody brilliant litle trucks,best all round for farmers and keepers alike,wouhn'nt say I'Ve got expeience.but could change a driveshaft,in the the field,at night in 30 mins max..... Laughing (always used to carry a spare Rolling Eyes )
Also got pulled in Belgium,tramping down to Calais to get home after a job in ZeeBee,for doing in excess of 140 clicks/hr,with the pickup bed full of tools and fitters......Did you know the body design was based on the "El Camino" pickup,look at the flare in from the roof to the pickup bed....

Whoops off topic... Embarassed
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

did yours get the floppy gearstick as well?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
did yours get the floppy gearstick as well?

Oooh Yes.... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Gribble

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a bit of time and curiosity got me so did some drain tests on the 3.0 swb as they all have an anti-theft and immobilser as standard. As we all know  Razz

Multimeter has record  min/max on it so could get the  current spikes measured.

Bat + on connecting max of 0. 655 ma's going down to 0.01 -0.02 ma's .

Bat ¬ on connecting max of 0.385 ma's going down to 0.01 - 0.02 ma's.

Draws are the radio memory live powering up then down ,anti theft led and the immobiliser relay going in then out I think .

So looks as if measuring the neg lead  to bat -  does give a reading but not a true one .

To measure your drain DAB you would need to make a small jump lead up and have a bat terminal of the type where you can leave it on  and unbolt the live wire. Connect the small jump lead so that when the live wires off the jumper makes the circuit then set the multimeter across the live wire and terminal then take off the small jump lead thus fooling the alarm and reading the drain value .Maybe .depends if the alarm interprets the meter as tampering  Shocked
The meter should be on 0 - 10 A scale unless you have an old avo with a dial  Idea
Wirdy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble - do you mean amps  Confused ,.......0.01 mA = 10 micro amps.  The digital clock takes more than that  Smile
Gribble

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

No  , milliamperes like its says on the meter  -  1000 to the amp  Smile  When the ignitions off the clocks not visible  is it  so no current to light the figures up ?

Most I could measure was 0.020 ma's key out door not locked ,thought 10 micro amps =100ma's  ? Ties in with eithans 0.050 ma's for scoobys wi extra bits on .
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:

=50 mA
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Gribble wrote:
Had a bit of time and curiosity got me so did some drain tests on the 3.0 swb as they all have an anti-theft and immobilser as standard. As we all know  Razz

Multimeter has record  min/max on it so could get the  current spikes measured.

Bat + on connecting max of 0. 655 ma's going down to 0.01 -0.02 ma's .

Bat ¬ on connecting max of 0.385 ma's going down to 0.01 - 0.02 ma's.

Draws are the radio memory live powering up then down ,anti theft led and the immobiliser relay going in then out I think .

So looks as if measuring the neg lead  to bat -  does give a reading but not a true one .

To measure your drain DAB you would need to make a small jump lead up and have a bat terminal of the type where you can leave it on  and unbolt the live wire. Connect the small jump lead so that when the live wires off the jumper makes the circuit then set the multimeter across the live wire and terminal then take off the small jump lead thus fooling the alarm and reading the drain value .Maybe .depends if the alarm interprets the meter as tampering  Shocked
The meter should be on 0 - 10 A scale unless you have an old avo with a dial  Idea

I had a bit of the same this savvy,so what I'd worked out and DAB used,I tried mesen,only over 4 hrs with a known current drain,and batt left after test for an hour,to reach a steady state voltage,I reckon 70% accurate,so happy I've not led you up the garden path DAB.As Gribble says now is the time for more accurate measurement to determine the source of the drain........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: